Maybe it's a myth on lifting weights...

Options
13»

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this.

My family used to tell my built uncle this.

I think it's actually that if he stopped lifting weights and continued to eat a platter full of potato ground beef tacos with mayo he would naturally gain fat and it would APPEAR that the fat displaced the muscle simply. However it would be that the muscle atrophied due to lack of use while simultaneously the fat gain took it's place on his body.

Luckily this did not happen to him. I can see how that could easily happen to someone used to consuming giant quantities of calories in their active youth while weight lifting and then continued to eat those cal amounts in their early twenties with less activity levels common to the married and working and then with no time for weight lifting you'd end up pretty plump everywhere you were buff.

This might be common and thus the myth.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're listening to idiots. Lifting weights increases bone mass as well as muscle mass, two things that you will be grateful to have as you age. And, there's no reason to stop as you get older.

LOL i guess my family are idiots. OR just repeating what they heard over time.
  • ANDREWBRIAN
    ANDREWBRIAN Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's just my opinion but one of the problems we have when we get older our muscle turn to mush. It's because we don't to some type of muscle strength exercise. Strength training should be done till the day we die .
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights can be done at any age, in fact regular exercise and strength training will help keep you fit and mobile into old age. It'll also help preserve muscle mass, and bone density (lowering your chances of osteoporosis) Just because many people choose not to, doesn't mean they're incapable. Sounds like this person just loves their excuses!

Do some researching online, you'll find lots of bodybuilders, powerlifters etc that started up lifting, or are continuing their sport/hobbie as they age.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No, muscle doesn't turn to fat. Yes, you can/will lose muscle with age and if you don't lose it. It's "burnt" but doesn't turn to fat directly.

BUT why can't you lift weights for the rest of your life? I plan to.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're listening to idiots. Lifting weights increases bone mass as well as muscle mass, two things that you will be grateful to have as you age. And, there's no reason to stop as you get older.

LOL i guess my family are idiots. OR just repeating what they heard over time.

Yea. My family are idiots too. But then, I like hyperbole.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    What age would that be?

Apparently, misinformed people have yet to visit the same gym I attend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eae3_LDysY8
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thankfully some people have said others have told them this too. And no I don't listen to them, I continue lifting my weights! I was just wondering if anyone had heard that "saying/myth/etc" before. I guess they just meant life will change and you won't have all that time to do all that work in the gym…who knows. People have also told me since I'm in college I have time to work out and look good but once I get out I'll blow up like a balloon because I'll stop working out.. and that right there is exactly why I get up every morning at 6am to get my workouts done before my day even starts…so that I will be able to continue that cycle when I'm out of school. :)
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and I started weight training 3 years ago and I am just now learning to lift heavy. I have found the fountain of youth, I only wish I had found it IN my youth.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Thankfully some people have said others have told them this too. And no I don't listen to them, I continue lifting my weights! I was just wondering if anyone had heard that "saying/myth/etc" before. I guess they just meant life will change and you won't have all that time to do all that work in the gym…who knows. People have also told me since I'm in college I have time to work out and look good but once I get out I'll blow up like a balloon because I'll stop working out.. and that right there is exactly why I get up every morning at 6am to get my workouts done before my day even starts…so that I will be able to continue that cycle when I'm out of school. :)

Life will change. I don't get to run and lift and play sports every day like I used to in college...and even after getting married, prior to having two kiddos.

But I still make my health for my body and mind a priority at 31 years old. And I continue to do so for as long as I live.

Sounds like you have some negative people in your life. Oh well, prove em wrong :)
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You should never ride a bicycle since there will come a time where you won't be able to ride one anymore.

You should never paddle a canoe since there will come a time where you won't be able to anymore.

You should never ______ since there will come a time where you won't be able to anymore.

See how ridiculous that is?

This!

At 51 I started weight lifitng. I'm now 60lbs lighter, reduced my body fat to 24% from 40% and best of all - reversed the osteoporosis I'd been diagnosed with at age 48. Not to mention stronger. :) Lift it or lose it.