Advice on Eating Out?

Options
So tomorrows my birthday, and I'm hoping to go out. Even on years where no one had money to buy me anything I still got a birthday out for dinner.

This is going to be the first time I'm going out to eat since I really started watching my calories. I'm deciding between a few places, and I already got all the nutritional info for them to help.

Question is, do you have any advice for when you go out to eat?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    enjoy your birthday and eat whatever you want …it only happens once a year..

log it, own it, and move on ..

if you do not have days/occasions/etc where you eat whatever you want you are going to go crazy ..

so eat, drink and be merry ...
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    I love to eat out and do it pretty regularly. I do a big cardio workout beforehand so I have some extra calories to spend. Have a great birthday,
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    Eat what looks good, and if you're torn between a few different choices, then use "what fits my diet most easily" as a criteria. IE, first decide what you want to eat, and only then think too much about your diet (for a one-day thing, not when eating out in general.)

If the place doesn't list nutrition on the menu or online, then look for items that are grilled, steamed, poached, baked, and generally avoid things that are fried, "loaded," "au gratin," etc. Steamed or grilled vegetables, seasoned well, can be a tasty side that's not too high calorie.

It's your birthday--so pick what you're going to enjoy the most.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday enjoy it!

Now what I do when I'm going out if I can get a menu is decide what I want log it before and then go enjoy every bite. Tomorrow I'm going out with family, already picked and logged it now I can just enjoy their company
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I don't log on my birthday or Christmas Day. How much damage can you do? Have what you want but don't eat till you're stuffed and make it up across the week if you want to with extra activity.

For general eating out I tend to make sure I've earned extra calories and usually only have a main course.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Eat light and save the calories for the dinner or. Stick with a meat and a vegetable. Stay away from sauces and real cheesey dishes. Go for baked or grilled.
  • GeapetCore
    GeapetCore Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Save calories early in the day. And make sure to work out for a few days before and after your dinner out. But most of all - enjoy it! If you deprive yourself all the time, you will lose your motivation. Go ahead and have something you like - just make sure to log the calories, even if that means going over. I knew that I would go over calories for my husband's 50th birthday party and I don't care! I had a great time and have been on track since then. I'm so glad I celebrated with him. If I would have skipped the dinner and wine, I would have been maybe a half pound less now, big deal!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you like and save the calorie counting for another day. Stick with a gooey dessert and a delicious drink. Stay away from poison and other non-food items. Go for tasty and decadent.

FIFY
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If I have a restaurant meal planned, I eat light earlier in the day to save some extra calories. I may also do a little extra working out to bank calories as well. Then I select whatever I want from the menu and put half of it in a to go bag immediately upon its arrival. I always order a box with the meal.

Restaurant meals are nearly always double the food of a normal meal. I don't feel that I am depriving myself to only eat half. Then I have a great meal the next day too that doesn't look picked over.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you like and save the calorie counting for another day. Stick with a gooey dessert and a delicious drink. Stay away from poison and other non-food items. Go for tasty and decadent.

FIFY

THIS^^^^ <3<3<3
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    enjoy your birthday and eat whatever you want …it only happens once a year..

if you do not have days/occasions/etc where you eat whatever you want you are going to go crazy ..

so eat, drink and be merry ...

This. I never worry about a day here or there. It is when you make a habit of eating over calories..when it becomes a problem.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It's my birthday tomorrow too :) I'm going eat and drink whatever I like.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If I have a restaurant meal planned, I eat light earlier in the day to save some extra calories. I may also do a little extra working out to bank calories as well. Then I select whatever I want from the menu and put half of it in a to go bag immediately upon its arrival. I always order a box with the meal.

Restaurant meals are nearly always double the food of a normal meal. I don't feel that I am depriving myself to only eat half. Then I have a great meal the next day too that doesn't look picked over.

Depending on where I go that might be a good idea.
    I'm debating between my love of Thai food (which I can mimick at home, but not nearly as well) and a steak and potatoe kinda place.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ask tim.
  • ActionAnnieGO
    Options

Gosh, I love this phrase! There's a lot of wisdom in it. Gonna make it my motto, lol!
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It's Your birthday! Calories don't count on birthday's. :drinker:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    ask tim.

Qft
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    For a non-birthday outing, I think about what type of food I want before I even open the menu. Chicken, beef, Mexican, pizza, whatever. Then when we get there, I don't feel like I have 50 choices and try and order half of them XD Then I usually go with whatever is the least fried and least carbs.

Birthday dinner: DO WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT. n_n
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options

FIFY
    I approve. Happy birthday! Enjoy your own Christmas :flowerforyou:
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    If its your birthday or occasion have what ever you want!!!

Generally when I go out to eat with friends, 9 times out of 10 I do pick healthy options.

But when we order the bottle of vino........It all goes wrong from there.

Have fun!

I normally get a good workout in prior or the next day : )

Gives you more cals