Help with running form please :)

Options
Running/jogging question:- I find my arms/shoulders seem a little tense when I jog. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? I try to relax my arms whilst jogging, they hover around hip level and swing only a bit, I am aware I perhaps hold them in a 90° angle but they seem a bit unnatural/uncomfortable after a few mins. I always feel tense in the neck and shoulders after a jog? any suggestions?

I really enjoy jogging although I'm only do a around 30 mins at a time as still building up stamina. I do 30 mins strength training then the jog 5 times a week.

Thanks in advance ☺

Ruth

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    BUMP ...Anyone??
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing - I hunch my shoulders when I'm running, and it causes all sorts of discomfort afterwards. The only thing I can say is you just really have to focus on relaxing the shoulders. I have to really concentrate on it, and then I notice if I stop then a mile or so later I feel them hunching again. A trainer has said I do this in other exercises too, like Spin!

I'm relatively new to running, so I'm hoping it will just become a habit eventually.
  • DianeEvans69
    DianeEvans69 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert so take this with a pinch of salt if you wish!

When I joined a beginners running group we were told to run with hands loose like you are holding a grapefruit in each hand. Apparently clenching fists causes you to tense other muscles which may include your shoulders, I don't know :0)

Hope this helps.
  • nickowastaken
    nickowastaken Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Get your posture right and life becomes a lot easier, getting organised in the core and making sure your body is "long" will help... having "space" between your collar bones and jaw will relax the muscles around the neck. Oh and keep those hands loose.

Have a read up on Chi Running (or see this basic introduction on the youtubes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H26liWMDH8U)... it makes a lot of sense when you think about it.
  • danrough
    danrough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello to you both,

I enjoy running too, and as somebody who has previously had a neck injury suffer with some of the symptoms you describe, I'll offer advice based on what's helped me previously. Doing the following has allowed me to extend the time and distance that I run for considerably.

Firstly, I take a lot more care these days to warm up and stretch properly before I run (I spend approximately 10 minutes stretching and will walk at a brisk pace for at least 5 minutes before actually running) - it does extend the amount of time that I am "exercising" for - and therefore might seem to be overkill or indeed make fitting the exercise in to your day harder. I do think it's worth doing though. It took a couple of weeks to take proper effect, but I certainly felt the benefits. I did a quick Google for the stretches that I do, and this site has the neck stretches http://tranquilitycs.wordpress.com/2008/08/25/three-simple-neck-stretches-to-relieve-neck-pain-and-stress/) and this one the shoulder stretches http://www.wikihow.com/Perform-Shoulder-Stretches (please don't take either link as an endorsement of the site itself - they were the first I found with a reasonable description of the stretches).

Secondly, while I run I do as per the advice you've already received - I straighten my arms completely and allow them to hang freely. This feels a little odd at first. If you're like me arm movement is part of the running motion. This one is a big help to me though I can literally feel the tension subside while running. I aim to do this for a couple of minutes every 20 minutes or so or on as needed basis. I've got to the point where I can feel the tension building in my neck / shoulders and so deploy this method then.

In fact, there's possibly something in that - keep running but attempt to learn the point of onset of the pain and start dealing with it then.

Lastly, a decent warm down and stretches will help too. I spend a similar amount of time warming down and stretching as I do warming up and stretching.

I hope this helps. By all means add me - I am happy to continue the conversation in the future. Running is something that has helped me immensely with my weight loss to date.

All the best, Dan.
  • danrough
    danrough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    DianeEvans' advice above is something that I do too - but had forgotten to note it! I use it in combination with allowing my arms to hang freely.

Dan.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I'm no expert so take this with a pinch of salt if you wish!

When I joined a beginners running group we were told to run with hands loose like you are holding a grapefruit in each hand. Apparently clenching fists causes you to tense other muscles which may include your shoulders, I don't know :0)

Hope this helps.

Thanks Diane, I'll try that, it makes sense! :) I am inclined to clench my fists!

Thanks for all your comments and replies folks, much appreciated :-D I need to work on my form, I don't hunch as my core is strong but my arms just don't know what to be doing with themselves lol
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Dan, Thanks for your input, all much appreciated and I'll take your tips/hints on board - I know myself I don't spend enough time warming up, so I'll make more of an effort - for me I try to fit in a quick jog when I get the chance and usually that is around 8am in the morning before I head to work.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When I notice I am tensing up in my shoulders, I try to correct my posture and relax my shoulder so that my shoulder blades feel like they are pulling/falling down and back (Kind of like in Yoga.).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    When I notice I am tensing up in my shoulders, I try to correct my posture and relax my shoulder so that my shoulder blades feel like they are pulling/falling down and back (Kind of like in Yoga.).

yes I seem to tense without reaslising, this morning I made a conscious effort to keep relaxing my shoulders and letting my arms fall a bit lower, it'll take some practice but I'll get there :)