carbs-Jillian Michaels

Options
icandoit
icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
The Truth About Carbs
To eat or not to eat? With carbs, well, that is the question. Figuring out the role carbohydrates play in a healthy diet is confusing these days. All carbs aren't created equal — some are good and some are bad. Let's take a closer look at "bad carbs" and why they got that rap.
"Bad" carbs are the ones that get broken down in the body very quickly, triggering insulin release and promoting fat storage. If a food is high in bad carbs, it ranks high on the glycemic load index (GLI), scoring 15 or higher. Bad, or simple, carbs often come in the form of refined sugars and processed grains. In fact, the reason they break down so quickly in our bodies is that they have undergone chemical processes during manufacturing that are similar to the ones carried out by our digestive system, so in a way these carbs are partially digested before we even eat them. Pretty gross, huh? Bad carbs are found in packaged foods such as white bread, pasta, crackers, baked goods, and other foods that are made with white flour and contain little or no fiber.

So, what's the verdict on simple carbs? Stay away! They can sabotage you and your weight-loss and fitness goals.

Replies

• icandoit
    Options
    The Truth About Carbs
    To eat or not to eat? With carbs, well, that is the question. Figuring out the role carbohydrates play in a healthy diet is confusing these days. All carbs aren't created equal — some are good and some are bad. Let's take a closer look at "bad carbs" and why they got that rap.
    "Bad" carbs are the ones that get broken down in the body very quickly, triggering insulin release and promoting fat storage. If a food is high in bad carbs, it ranks high on the glycemic load index (GLI), scoring 15 or higher. Bad, or simple, carbs often come in the form of refined sugars and processed grains. In fact, the reason they break down so quickly in our bodies is that they have undergone chemical processes during manufacturing that are similar to the ones carried out by our digestive system, so in a way these carbs are partially digested before we even eat them. Pretty gross, huh? Bad carbs are found in packaged foods such as white bread, pasta, crackers, baked goods, and other foods that are made with white flour and contain little or no fiber.

So, what's the verdict on simple carbs? Stay away! They can sabotage you and your weight-loss and fitness goals.
  • judybooty
    judybooty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree stick to good carbs and lots of 'em. Here's why:

Health Canada recommends that our diet consist of 55% carbs and no more that 30% fat leaving 15% for our protein requirement.
    Energy for exercise:
    The nutrients which are primarily used for energy production are carbs and fats.
    As exercise intensity increases, the percentage of carbs burned will increase.
    As exercise intensity decreases and duration increases, the percentage of fat burned will increase.

The body can store plenty of fat but only a limited amount of carbs(enough to fuel about 30 mins. of intense activity). As the carb supply depletes, the body will begin to burn more fats for fuel. If the glycogen (carb) stores are depleted for prolonged periods of time, the body will begin to break down muscle protein to burn for fuel. NOT GOOD!

Low carb diets = break down of lean tissue(muscle) = decrease in metabolic rate = no weight loss
    Healthy diet and exercise = increase in muscle mass = increase in metabolic weight = weight loss
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm doing. I'm limiting myself to 60 GOOD carbs a day; made up of stone-ground whole wheat bread, veges like red and yellow bell peppers, cucumbers, zuchinni, mixed greens; flavor enhancers such as chopped fresh garlic and a tablespoon or so of finely diced onion; raw almonds to snack on, etc. I'm limiting carbs as well as calories and I'm trying to eat my extra calories due to exercise. Seems to be working!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I don't limit my carbs, but I have been eating much more complex carbs than simple like I used to.

Instead of white rice....brown rice or millet or couscous or barley or quinoa!
    Instead of white pasta....wheat pasta!
    Instead of white bread....wheat bread!
    Instead of white flour....wheat flour!
    Instead of sugar....a little honey or maple syrup or agave syrup!

See a pattern? :laugh:

Also, I have been eating a little more sweet potato in place of potatoes (because sweet potatoes have different nutrients/vitamins)
  • AJneuro
    AJneuro Posts: 33
    Options
    60 carbs a day? the human brain needs 130g of carbs/day to function properly. you could be doing major damage!
  • AJneuro
    Options
    60 carbs a day? the human brain needs 130g of carbs/day to function properly. you could be doing major damage!
  • AJneuro
    Options
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    So....potatoes are bad? I mean they are way up there glycemic wise.
  • icandoit
    Options

They are good. Just don't over do it. I will have a small red potato with dinner or with breakfast.
  • beep
    Options

Do you have information on that that I can access?

I feel great and I have whole wheat toast with an egg for breakfast; some kind of protein like tuna or cheese with a salad for lunch; almonds for snacks; and a salad, fish or chicken and a low glycemic vege like zuchinni, and a half a cup of barley or brown rice for dinner.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Without carbohydrates, your body switches fuels they way a hybrid car does. Without glucose (sugar)molecules in the blood, your metabolism (and your brain) runs on molecules called KETONES. The simplest ketone is acetone, is shown below. The ones flowing in the blood of a lo-carb dieter are more complex, so don't try to take off the manicure with your - OK, the sincere part continues below.

CH3
    /
    O=C
    \
    CH3

Ketones are a by-product of FAT conversion. So when you're on a lo-carb diet (and being honest about it in a way that I never was - I ate WAY too many nuts), you're definitely burning fat. You can measure how much through the ketones excreted in urine. Ketostix, available at the pharmacy, helps with this.

Losing weight always means losing SOME lean mass unless you go very slowly and lift weights to increase your muscle fiber density. Some medical research studies show that people on lo-carb diets actually lose MORE fat and LESS muscle than people losing weight through more balanced diets.

That doesn't mean it's good for everyone. While ketones are a VIABLE source of fuel, they're not the most EFFICIENT. The body may not need carbs to function, but it does need them it to perform at sports and athletics. Lo-carb diets slow you down physically - forget increasing your speed or mileage at cardio if you're not eating carbs. The effects on brain activity are mixed. Going off carbs keeps you from getting sugar highs and lows, so the influence is calming - but not everyone needs more calm.

In the end, each person knows what kind of lifestyle they like. A sedentary person who suffers from food anxieties and major sugar cravings can do very well on a lo-carb diet. But an active "athlete" type whose daily energy needs are more variable cannot.
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    my diagram of acetone got a little warped. both CH3 groups should be connected to the C, not the O.
  • beep
    Options
    I agree that we need carbs, good ones not bad ones, just was wondering about that 130 carb limit someone mentioned.
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    I can't find you a citation, but more neurologists would be up in arms about lo-carb diets if there were a fixed number of carbohydrate grams that you needed for full brain function.

Consider the fact that many diabetics on insulin therapy have extremely low blood glucose - much loser than lo-carb dieters. And yet diabetics do not have worse mental acuity and cognitive function.

For more information, see the articles below. NEJM is one of the most trusted resources in medicine.

Summary:
    http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-research/summaries/Jacobson-therapy-safe-for-brain.jsp

Full Article:
    http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/356/18/1842
  • beep
    Options
    Thank you, great info.
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    I like you, smarty pants Yellow Pepper! You make science fun...
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    Thanks, S! That really made me feel good. :-)

Now maybe I can get off this site for the night. Or even the weekend! I've been a bit post-crazy lately.
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options

If you have something that is high GI (like potatoes) in your meal, but the rest of the food in that meal is low GI, then it balances out to make the GI medium. The Glycemic Index is not just high and low. Here is the official website if you're interested.
    http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Its funny, when I first joined this website and offered the opinion of low GI food, I was told by another member that it was a fad diet, (which of course I knew it wasnt - its an Australian University Model).
    Now I see it posted quite a lot. I guess it took longer to get the US.