Hoping my enthusiasm continues!

Options
CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
I started on this site about 2 weeks ago after seeing several friends on Facebook who use it.
I have been really impressed by how easy it is to use and I absolutely LOVE that I can put in my recipes and it will break down the nutrition and fat for me... it's really helped me be more aware of my serving sizes and I have already lost 9 pounds!
9 pounds is a lot to lose in just a couple of weeks, so I am really excited, but I am more than a little afraid that I will get discouraged if/when I hit a plateau.
My pattern over the last few years is to lose 10-15 pounds and then gain 20-25... to the point where I am now what is classified as "morbidly obese." Because I am tall (5'10") and carry my weight pretty evenly, I still have some shape, but it is a large, squishy, doughy, unhealthy shape. Also, because I am so tall, I have to lose a lot of weight before it starts to show (30 pounds is about one clothing size for me). Even now, when I've lost nearly 10 pounds, my pants are barely noticeably looser than they were before. That's my biggest fear, really - that I will get discouraged if I don't see noticeable results.
That being said, I am going to try really hard to keep going as I want to set a good example for my son, who is a little plump, about healthy eating and regular exercise.
I've been walking a lot lately and will try to keep up with it in addition to reducing my portion sizes and choosing healthier ingredients. As it is, I developed a severe intolerance to all milk products at the beginning of the year and so foods that used to be my downfall (ice cream and cheese, namely) are off-limits anyway, which actually makes it easier to eat healthy because I literally HAVE to read the ingredients carefully before I eat anything.
Anyway, I am excited about this journey back to a healthy weight and hoping that I stay that way.

Replies

• heyjude78
    Options
    Thank god for food allergies! lol. Congrats on your 9lb loss- really great! Welcome and God bless!
    :happy:
  • Beebee78
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and congratulations on a fantastic start!! xxx
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Congratulations on getting off to such a great start.

I can really relate about the fear of hitting a plateau. When I started this I was very determined that this would be THE time for me to get back in shape once and for all, but I was still really scared that something would mess up my determination, like hitting a plateau. Honestly sometimes it is difficult for me to believe that I can ever physically lose fat.

Well, I hit a plateau at the beginning of this month that lasted for three weeks. It was discouraging, but I had been measuring myself and I could see that I was still slowly losing inches off my waist and hips, so I just tried to grin and bear it. Last week I finally broke the plateau after 25 days!! I wrote a blog about it.

I just think that even though plateaus can be so discouraging if you're using mfp and involved in the community you have a lot of tools and places for encouragement. Just know that a plateau probably will come, but that you absolutely will break it by just keeping up all the hard work.

Anyway, great job on starting this and keeping your son's health and future in mind :)
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement!
  • stargazr246
    Options
    Losing weight is NOT easy (I've been struggling with mine for about 10 years) and plateaus can be discouraging, IF you let them. Even if no one else can tell you've lost weight, you know that you have. That's the most important thing. Everytime you choose to eat right or exercise, you're improving your health. What can be more important than that?
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    congrats on 9lbs in 2 weeks, that feels awesome!!! I think its a great idea to measure.... because that does change even when the scale doesn't.... I measured for the first time and I am gonna do it every other weigh in... so this coming tuesday will be my 2nd measure... I hope to see change!! =)
    don't give up!! :flowerforyou:
    log every bite , it keeps us on track for sure!!!
    Stac
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    Nine pounds lost in two weeks is phenomenal! Way to go! Welcome to MFP!
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Great idea about measuring - I will do that when I get home from work today.
    I really, really love this site so far!