Calorie Burn Monitor..

simply_healthy
simply_healthy Posts: 175 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey All,

I realized that probably I am not considering the total number of calories I burn during my exercise (For eg; Strength Training, Zumba, Studio Classes etc.). I usually put an approx number based on the level of intensity in my exercise diary.

Energy Deficit = Energy expended (exercise, metabolism, thermic effect of feeding) > (greater than) Energy taken in (Food + Drink)

I can get a" Heart Pulse Rate Sports Watch Calorie Counter Monitor" from Amazon for only 13 GBP.... but I dont want to buy anything thats misleading and end up in frustatoin.....

Is it worth buying a Calorie Monitor ? Please share ur opinion and thoughts on this.

PS: I am really to have so much support and motivation from all of you.... Thanks so much !! :)

Replies

• I think a heart rate monitor is fantastic. This was you can work out exactly how many calories you have burnt during exercise. It so accurate because it goes by your weight and your height. It is a great investment. Well, I think it is.

Good Luck mate!!!
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Hi, I have a heart rate monitor also & find it very good - as it uses your height, weight I think its probably the best way to count calories burned - sometimes I might round down the calories - so if I'd burned 335 cals I might only put 300 on MFP
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    It's only worth getting one if it is one with a chest strap, like Polar Ft7. Look it up on Amazon.

The cheap one you are talking about is just a watch and those are FAR from accurate, and you might as well just use what MFP says for calories, or even estimate your own numbers, since that is about all you will get out of one of those. They're just gimmicky little "toys", not medically/scientifically accurate.
  • You definitely need a proper HRM with a chest strap - the FT7 is a bit too high end for me the FT4 is much cheaper and does all you need to monitor calorie burn during a session. As others have said the cheap watch only ones are not fit for purpose.
This discussion has been closed.