Gluten free?

Options
I recently realized that I'm gluten intolerant and have been having a REALLY hard time going off gluten. Is there anyone else who's gluten intolerant or just doesn't eat gluten? My friends all eat it, and I would love some friends who don't eat gluten.

Replies

• michelleneli
    michelleneli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Under Community, if you click on groups there's one called Gluten Free.:flowerforyou:
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I don't have celiacs and if I am gluten intolerant it is only ever so mildly. This month I decided to do 1 month GF to see what it was like and if I had any health benefits (although after reading I hear some benefits take a little longer to show up.)

Because it was only a month I went cold turkey; but now that the month is over I don't feel a strong urge to go back I'm neutral on the whole issue really the cravings are gone.

With that said since you are intolerant maybe trick yourself into saying its only a month and by the end of it you'll be through the hard part (for me the first 10 days were rough)
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a wheat intolerance, so avoid gluten completely mostly for diet reasons, its quite hard at times, but gets easier :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I recently realized that I'm gluten intolerant and have been having a REALLY hard time going off gluten. Is there anyone else who's gluten intolerant or just doesn't eat gluten? My friends all eat it, and I would love some friends who don't eat gluten.
    Have you actually been diagnosed? if not go and see a doctor because the problems you may be having could have absolutely nothing to do with Gluten. It seems to be as soon as anyone has any sort of digestive problem they blame it on Gluten when in reality those intolerant are actually very low. it makes sense to discuss and get your problem looked at by an appropriate medical professional.
  • twilatillman
    twilatillman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant. There are many good gluten free products now. I fixed GF macaroni last night. Couldn't tell the difference except how I felt afterwards. I do miss sliced bread. I do buy GF but it is high in calories for a small slice. I don't use it very often. I do once in a while eat the foods with gluten in them and deal with the problems that occur.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hi- I'm gluten free, have been for just over 2 years now. I also just got diagnosed with allergies to milk, eggs, yeast, coffee, and a whole bunch of other foods. I accept friend requests with a message from people with healthy eating habits. :flowerforyou:

**Health being defined as eating enough to fuel your body and no eating disorder. Individual food choices are your own.
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I find it easier not to eat certain foods rather than try to make replacements and be disappointed. When I first went GF, I tried to make GF bread, pizza, etc and now I just eat paleo - so much easier :)
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I am also gluten free, feel free to add me. I log daily and have an open diary.

All of my family and most of my friends are NOT gluten free and it makes it a little difficult, but I make do. :)

Good luck in your new lifestyle. I do have to say it is much easier to resist the sweets and treats as so many are made with gluten.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to eat gluten, for mh and ibs reasons... I don't eat substitutes either. Feel free to friend me. I have an open diary.
  • akninsas
    akninsas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a gluten intolerance as well and struggle to come up with food ideas.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for almost a year now. I guess after the birth of my 3rd my digestion changed and it was causing some extra issues.

I had a bit of trouble at first getting used to not eating bread or many other store bought products with wheat in it but after the initial withdrawal I started feeling great.

I would say I am 99% completely free, usually the slips are at family gatherings or out with people and I do not want to seem impolite. Most of what I eat is home made which is the easiest way to switch to gluten free without too much hair pulling since you can learn to make your own versions of many every day things.

Feel free to add me as a friend my diary is open and I have copies of any recipes if they look appealing :)

ETA: I agree with others the hardest part can be when friends and family eat it. At home my family eats what I make and actually prefer many of the gluten free items. Days like the other day are hard though made grilled cheese for everyone else and stuck with just salad for myself, I cried a bit inside it smelled so good.