Back Squat and DL almost equal? Why?

Options
So, why would my deadlift and my backsquat be almost equal? Every other female I see has a much higher deadlift than back squat (I'm at about 225 dead and 215 back squat). Ideas?

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I should add that I do Olympic style high bar squats, so in theory, I could possibly even squat more if I developed a power lifting style squat.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    everyone has slightly different body proportions which can give mechanical advantages and disadvantages in different lifts, leading to individual variation in terms of how good each one is relative to the others. Maybe you have a mechanical disadvantage for deadlifting combined with a mechanical advantage in squats. I've heard of people whose squat is better than their deadlift. Though I think it's more common for deadlift to be better than squat.

Those are damn good numbers however you look at it though.... especially the squat...!!
    <---- jealous!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    You're squatting too high.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Take female out of that. The iron don't care about man woman or child. i do not know how long you have been training. I do not know if you have heard of Louie Simmons. In the first couple of years for most people (people really lifting heavy like yourself) their deadlift is more than their squat (back, hack, frozen yogurt shack etc...) this is because we as humans do just about everything from the front. I tried washing my dishes behind my back and it did not work out too well (hope you catch what I am saying here). Shawshank is a very strong dood, and he is more than likely right (yes he is right most of the time). In order to get stronger in a particular lift we have to break it down to all of it's moving parts and strengthen the prime movers of that particular lift and go back to it with a fresh set of eyes and "stronger' approach. You cannot train at max loads frequently and expect to get stronger. Do world record lifters bench 1,000 pounds everytime they step to the iron ? Nope, they use a conjugate system that helps to ensure strength and increases in workload over a period of time. Keep up the good work and you can cll me stupid or whatever, I was just trying to help. I wish you the best.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Mine are almost equal too. My back squat is slightly ahead of the deadlift but not by a huge amount.

I am pretty quad dominant. Deadlifts tax my glutes and hamstrings more.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Out of curiousity, what is the reasoning behind this?? Why would the squats be too high and what are the implications??

I'm stronger in my DL than in my squats but only be about 5kg (the last time I done a 5 rep max), at that point I was told that they are normally about equal (quite happy with the back squat considering how long it took me to get it with my posture, been working on that and it's slowly getting there)!!
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    Take female out of that. The iron don't care about man woman or child. i do not know how long you have been training. I do not know if you have heard of Louie Simmons. In the first couple of years for most people (people really lifting heavy like yourself) their deadlift is more than their squat (back, hack, frozen yogurt shack etc...) this is because we as humans do just about everything from the front. I tried washing my dishes behind my back and it did not work out too well (hope you catch what I am saying here). Shawshank is a very strong dood, and he is more than likely right (yes he is right most of the time). In order to get stronger in a particular lift we have to break it down to all of it's moving parts and strengthen the prime movers of that particular lift and go back to it with a fresh set of eyes and "stronger' approach. You cannot train at max loads frequently and expect to get stronger. Do world record lifters bench 1,000 pounds everytime they step to the iron ? Nope, they use a conjugate system that helps to ensure strength and increases in workload over a period of time. Keep up the good work and you can cll me stupid or whatever, I was just trying to help. I wish you the best.

Thanks. Why would I call you stupid? Thanks for the feedback and yes, washing dishes behind one's back would be difficult.
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options

Out of curiousity, what is the reasoning behind this?? Why would the squats be too high and what are the implications??

I'm stronger in my DL than in my squats but only be about 5kg (the last time I done a 5 rep max), at that point I was told that they are normally about equal (quite happy with the back squat considering how long it took me to get it with my posture, been working on that and it's slowly getting there)!!

Not really. I have an oly coach (actually 3, not CF coaches, actual oly coaches) and I squat ATG. Re the bar position, I have to squat high or I will ruin my pattern for oly. I mean, ultimately, when things get heavy, you will go to your default pattern/muscle memory.

By too high, do you mean too much weight? I'm confused. Sorry. I do appreciate the feedback. I just don't know if you mean I'm not all the way down in my squat, squatting too high, or having the bar too high?

Re strength training, I do Wendler and re-test every 8 weeks.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    When I say squatting too high, I mean are you aren't dropping your hips low enough. Nothing to do with bar placement or weight.
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    When I say squatting too high, I mean are you aren't dropping your hips low enough. Nothing to do with bar placement or weight.

Okay, thanks. I will have them check it but so far they have indicated my squat depth is appropriate.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options

So by dropping the hips lower would you expect the squat weight to decrease, because it would be harder to drive up from your legs with the higher weight (I like knowing the mechanics of things, if I can understand them I'm normally quite good at translating it to my own form)??
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    I guess my question centers more around how I can improve my deadlift, not make my squat worse. I know that if I were only squatting to above parallel, I could squat more. However, I am squatting in a more upright position, lower than a power lifting squat, ATG. So, if I were using a PL squat, my lifts would be even closer, I'm guessing. :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    is your grip holding you back on the DL??

You're squat is fine- you'll continue to see gains- your DL needs work I suspect.