Is Rest day from workout needed to maintain?

Options
2»

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    On rest day, do you really not do any exercise?

Sometimes and sometimes not. I generally work really hard and earn my rest days so I don't feel guilty about taking a full day off with no exercise. I know my body needs it and it will benefit my progression in the long term. Having said that, if I feel like it I will often go for a gentle walk. This can actually be quite beneficial as it can increase blood flow to areas that need it and also loosen you up.

ETA: for me walking isn't really exercise (well it's exercise but not training) as it doesn't raise my heart rate enough to count. For some people starting out walking will challange you enough to be your main source of exercise and that's okay as long as you push yourself a little and progress.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I guess on my rest day I'll do light cardio or yoga as mentioned so that I won't feel guilty. Should I do the light cardio/ yoga with sore muscles?
  • EpsilonGamma
    Options
    Looks like you are just doing light cardio. You don't need a rest day. None of those activities would stress your CNS (central nervous system).

When you are lifting heavy weights or going HIIT (High intensity interval training), then you would need rest days in between.

If you eat well (protein, some carbs) then you definitely don't need rest days.
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The best practice is to do half of what you regularly do. Suppose you run 2 miles and do 40 push-ups, make it 1 mile and 20 push-ups one day in a week.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are just doing light cardio. You don't need a rest day. None of those activities would stress your CNS (central nervous system).

When you are lifting heavy weights or going HIIT (High intensity interval training), then you would need rest days in between.

If I've got sore muscles do I continue with my workout?
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options

If I've got sore muscles do I continue with my workout?

Depends on your lifting program. If you are doing a full body workout, then you should be taking a rest day between full body days. If you are working, for example, chest and triceps and are sore, the next day you could do back and biceps. But your muscles need a break. Rest helps them repair and grow. Working them endlessly, regardless of soreness can and will overwork them.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 4x a week. I do minimal exercise 2x a week (no weights, just walking or maybe a HIIT session), and 1x a week I do NOTHING (on Sundays). It is necessary for me to be able to start the week not feeling sore or tired.