Ladies weights

Options
Good afternoon
I've seen a lot of woman doing weight training so what is best to buy to do at home? I've seen Dumbells in argos would they help to tone up? And which areas are they good for toning with? Help please :)

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If the weights are challenging for you, they would help to tone up. Buy whatever is needed for you to achieve your goals, if you can't afford it at first, start of with what you see as most important (maybe dumbells are easiest) and progress from there. Looking into second hand stuff for larger items if you wanted (ebay etc) may be better financially than buying new.

All areas are good for toning, I'd recommend to train your whole body (legs, back, chest, shoulders, arms, abs etc) but obviously if you have specific areas you feel need more work you can work on those more, but I wouldn't do that at the expense of other areas. Remember that you can't target fat loss. Part of toning is fat loss, the other is building muscle. You can target specific muscles to grow or get stronger, but you can't target where you lose fat. In that part, it's best to lose fat overall and it comes off where it comes off.

Hope that helps :) Youtube can be a great source for the different exercises per body part. I would usually recommend compound lifts (work many muscle groups), over isolations (work one muscle group) but this may be hard at home with limited equipment. I'd say the main ones you could do with dumbells are:
    - Squats
    - Deadlifts (although might get too easy after a while with just home db's)
    - Rows
    - Chest press
    - Overhead Press

and then there are others such as:
    - Bicep curls
    - Tricep extensions
    - Sit ups/crunches with or without weights
    - Lunges
    - Chest flyes........

Another good piece of equipment for home is a chin up bar, chin ups are a great exercise. If you can't do them unassisted yet, using bands or a chair can help assist you until you can.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I bought the sand filled dumbbells from argos. The one that had the 1kg, 2.2kg and 4.5 kg in it. I outgrew the first 2 quite quickly and am in dire need of new ones now. These ones are good if you are looking for something to use in the short term that are cheap. If you want something a bit longer lasting but more expensive I would get the adjustable ones where you can add/take away plates.

There are lots of videos online showing you different moves you can use dumbbells for.