Looking for best female weight training

Options
adrbar
adrbar Posts: 15 Member
I m the girl on the treadmill or elliptical everyday who loves to see the calories burned displayed on the screen but yet has made no changes to her body:(. Looking to firm up loose inches I have a hour a day and am confused by the variety out there. Looked at Jamie Easton's 12 week trainer but it looks like it will eventually take 2 hours a day. I can't do that as I'm a full time RN married with 2 kids. Thanks for help

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Strong Curves, and it takes me from 20-40 minutes depending on the day, rest between sets and how much I have to adjust my dumbbells/bar (I work out at home). Lots of people like StrongLifts and Starting Strength, and The New Rules of. Lifting/NRoL for Women are good resources, too. Bodybuilding.com has lots of programs. All Pro is a good place to start as well.
  • RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I started with the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and it was very helpful. It will take you about 45 mins, 3x per week.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm currenty doing Jamie's workout routine from bodybuilding.com. I can assure you that it does NOT take 2 hours. I finished one last night in about 45 minutes. And that was with 40-60 second rests in between. I switch it up, though. I don't do just one exercise 3 times in a row... I'll pick two exercises and go back and forth between them usually on other sides of the gym so I can use the walk-back time as my break. Give it a shot. I like it, it's fun and I can see my strength and body improving already... I think I'm only on day 12, too :bigsmile:
  • adrbar
    adrbar Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone will look into suggestions:)
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I'd echo NROLFW - the stage one exercise outlines take me 30-35 mins. I'm about to move into stage two, and it looks like they'll be 45 mins max.
  • ekemsley1
    ekemsley1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also just started NROLFW, and I saw changes the first week :-) small changes, but still counts. I'm still in the first phase but it seems like a good program
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    the best female weight training program will be the same as the best male weight training program for a beginner

Strong lifts
    starting strength
    new rules of lifting

your gender means absolutely nothing when it comes to programming. The only difference you will see is in actual gains. meaning- you'll have significantly less than they will in terms of building muscle- it's a real fight to put on appreciable muscle mass as a woman.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the best female weight training program will be the same as the best male weight training program for a beginner

Strong lifts
    starting strength
    new rules of lifting

your gender means absolutely nothing when it comes to programming. The only difference you will see is in actual gains. meaning- you'll have significantly less than they will in terms of building muscle- it's a real fight to put on appreciable muscle mass as a woman.

I'll second this and add Jim Wendler's 5/3/1
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Had been doing body resistance training, then moved on to weight machines until I felt topped out and ready for a new challenge. Started Strong Lifts about 2 weeks ago. I use the app. Loving it, and it's very easy for a beginner to follow. The app even gives a chime for me in my headphones when my rest is over and time to do another set!
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    If you have an iPhone (it may be on Android to but I'm not sure) you could check out Nike Training Club. They are timed boot-camp style workouts that can torch some calories and have you go through circuits incorporating usually dumbbells and a medicine ball, sometimes a box. They have 15, 30, and 45 minute workouts and personally if you're on a tight schedule I think they give some good bang for the buck.
  • ksmorck
    ksmorck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    NiaShanks.com, Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer on bodybuilding.com, Ashley Conrad's Clutch programs or she has a couple free on bodybuilding.com also.