46lb lost - still in the same trousers

Options
I'm way past the half way mark of my journey - I've lost 46 out of the 77lb i want to lose. This will take me to 154lb and i'm 5ft6. I'm just a bit gutted that 46lbs and i still wear the same trousers ( obviously they are more roomy but i was kind of hoping they wouldn't even stay up by this point)! I see people on the success stories that have lost 20lb and they look completely different. Guess i just want a rant really! Has anyone else had this? Losing a lot on the scale but no real noticeable differences?!

Replies

• lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weightloss so far! That's amazing! Unfortunately we don't get to choose where our fat comes off...boy I wish we could! I still have a belly pooch and my lower stomach is the last place I lose. I actually found the first place I lost weight was off my back, which is hard to see! But I loved getting rid of the back boobs :-)

Keep up the great work, I'm sure you will see the results you're looking for soon. You'll be surprise what another 10 lbs might do!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You might be surprised if you go to a store and try smaller clothes. I was convinced I hadn't lost a size after 30 lbs or something, then went to the store and I fit in pants 2 sizes smaller. Often your pants stretch over time, so you think you're a 18, but you're really a 20 or something (for example).
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of jeans that I am still wearing. They were really tight and now they are really loose. But I also have clothes that I was never able to wear, that still had tags on them , that now fit loosely. Go try on some new clothes. You will be amazed.
  • ashmarie8722
    ashmarie8722 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Most people also wear clothing that is too small. So that could have been your problem, and now they are fitting more correctly. Don't be afraid to ask someone to help. White House Black Market/ chicos for example, are trained to fit clothing more properly, they have to try on clothes, to see the fits, jeans especially. to be able to understand the body shapes that they work best with. Jeans actually are almost guaranteed to stretch a size. they are almost all over 65 percent cotton and there for stretch about a full size, with in the first few wears. They do shrink back down, but never to the same size again. keep this in mind when shopping as well. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if this really helps, but I have found that my pant sizes change much faster the closer you get to goal and sometimes slow down for awhile then change rapidly.

For me...

307 lb (HW) - size 22
    270 lb - size 22
    262 lb - size 22 (that is a loss of 45 lb and still the same size, just slightly looser)
    240 lb - size 20
    230 lb - size 18
    205 lb - size 16
    195 lb - size 14 (currently at 191 lb and wearing mostly 14s, some 16s still fit)
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Wow, I could have written that post. I am also 5'6" and 46 pounds down (and I have a similar goal weight), and I'm still wearing the same clothes! Yes, they are baggy on me and I need belts now but I can still wear them. I have a pair of jeans from when I lost 50 pounds about 6 years ago and they barely fit but they are size 16. I read other forum posts here and elsewhere, and people with my stats are wearing size 12 by now. I don't get it.

I notice a big difference in my face but I am not even close to needing a new wardrobe yet. I started strength training about 8 weeks ago, hoping that will help. I haven't noticed a difference yet but then again I don't take measurements (I never can figure out where to measure so it's consistent). It's discouraging but I am still plugging along. As long as the number on the scale drops I won't give up hope, since that number is all I can see for now.

Oh and one more thing. Some people talk about the "paper towel roll theory". When you have a brand new roll of paper towels, taking one sheet off doesn't make it look too much different. But as you get closer to the end of the roll, each sheet you take off starts to be a lot more noticeable. I probably didn't word that correctly, but hopefully you get the idea.
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You might be surprised if you go to a store and try smaller clothes. I was convinced I hadn't lost a size after 30 lbs or something, then went to the store and I fit in pants 2 sizes smaller. Often your pants stretch over time, so you think you're a 18, but you're really a 20 or something (for example).

This! I have the same brand of jeans, size 12s that I've worn for months. They are not falling off and I still wear them. I have n't even come close to your AMAZING 46 lbs (!!) but I tried on 10s in the store for kicks...and they fit. I can't explain it but I agree, go try on some clothes and see!
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    This thread has made me feel so much better, lol.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Fabric can streach out over time but jeans (or any fabic made out of cotten) are more prone to shrinking especially if you wash in hot water. When you lose weight it starts off in one area then moves to another area. That's why you can't spot lose.

I would go to a store and find the same brand of pants to see how a new pair of pants look on you.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    This thread has made me feel so much better, lol.

Me too lol! I'm down 47 lbs. and not really a full pants size. I haven't bought any new clothes yet, my jeans look baggy but not THAT baggy, I still wear them without a belt and they haven't fallen off yet! Lol
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have gone down some - at my heaviest (~350, maybe more) I was squeezing uncomfortably into large 26's and 28's on bottom. Now I'm easily in 24's, but my hips are carrying weight and that is the last place I lose. I'm buying some new clothes and having a hard time figuring out what size to buy, because thighs/waist have me in 22's and I'm not convinced my hips will fit without looking like sausage casing over the part of my body that makes me most anxious.

But at the same time, I can (and do) still wear 3x pants that I was wearing last summer at my highest weight and they are definitely loose and flowing, but not falling off at all.