too much protine shakes

Options
is there such a thing as too much.
what's the worse that can happen

Replies

• abickford82
    abickford82 Posts: 207
    Options
    The cost? Or how much you need? Be more specific.
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Kidney failure?
  • arrowprayer
    arrowprayer Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i don't have specific amount...
    but a couple of times per day everyday.....
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    VLCD + high protein can lead to kidney failure and death. You need to consume more balanced macros and eat over 1200 cal per day. You will lose, but don't expect it to fall off over night since I'm sure you didn't gain it all in one night either.
  • Daws387
    Daws387 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, one risk of having too much protein (in general) is the extra calories. If you're really trying to stick by your daily calorie goals, having too much protein takes away from the other nutrients that you may want to have also.

The other thing is, some protein shakes are high in sugar and fat, so too much of those things might not be good. If you make your own shakes its easier to determine exactly what your consuming. But in my experience, I buy my shakes from my gym, and detailed nutritional facts are not always easily attainable. I guess just keep that in mind. Hope this helps.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    hydrate, hydrate, hydrate - if you significantly increase your protein intake, make sure you hydrate to keep the kidneys flushing

I've known a few people who upped their protein intake significantly and ran into kidney stones because they did not adequately hydrate
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    VLCD + high protein can lead to kidney failure and death. You need to consume more balanced macros and eat over 1200 cal per day. You will lose, but don't expect it to fall off over night since I'm sure you didn't gain it all in one night either.

Complete gibberish! A high protein diet will not cause kidney failure.

On the other hand, if you already have kidney failure (for example, from diabetes, vascular disease, etc) then you should not overeat protein.
  • RayInMotion
    RayInMotion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Stick to about 1 gram per pound of body weight and you'll be fine.
  • morgan_mfit
    morgan_mfit Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Lots of fibre is also important with a high protein diet, otherwise things can get backed up if ya know what I mean. If you're having a shake you can put chia seeds, ground flax seeds, and/or a greens supplement in there and that will do wonders. And drink lots of water as has already been mentioned.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

On the other hand, if you already have kidney failure (for example, from diabetes, vascular disease, etc) then you should not overeat protein.

VCLD (very low calorie diet - like the OP is doing under 1000 per day) + high protein is what I said. She only asked if they are bad and given the stipulations of the above assuming you are severely calorie restricting and using only protein shakes (again like the OP answered "a few times a day"). Yes if you have pre-existing conditions this makes it more of a risk. So no it's not complete gibberish, but I guess if you take it out if text it is. Why else would they put that on the packages if it wasn't a possibility?
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options

VCLD (very low calorie diet - like the OP is doing under 1000 per day) + high protein is what I said. She only asked if they are bad and given the stipulations of the above assuming you are severely calorie restricting and using only protein shakes (again like the OP answered "a few times a day"). Yes if you have pre-existing conditions this makes it more of a risk. So no it's not complete gibberish, but I guess if you take it out if text it is. Why else would they put that on the packages if it wasn't a possibility?

Fair enough.