Replies

• arrowprayer
    arrowprayer Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    If I'm lifting, about 215. If I'm doing cardio...I try to hit 200-300 for a 30 minute session.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    about how much calories do you think you burn per gym session

What are you doing at the gym? hitting the elliptical or treadmill for an hour? boxing? heavy lifting? Or sitting at the juice bar and chatting?
    Your burn will depend on your weight, age, and how hard you are working, for cardio, get an HRM.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't really think about it much, my fitness regimen exists to achieve any number of fitness goals...burning calories is just a nice bi-product and allows me to eat more which is great because awesome food is awesome. I'd say on average I probably burn anywhere from 350 - 500 calories on an average ride depending on how long I go that day...I usually do anywhere from 10-15 miles per session 3-4x weekly. I have no clue what my burn is for lifting...probably 250 - 300 or so plus whatever the after burn is.

One of the reasons I prefer the TDEE method to MFP's NEAT method is not having to worry so much about exactly how many calories I burn.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    40 min cardio for me is about 400-500 calories.
    I'm large so that's why it's a lot. I do 22 minutes on the treadmill and 18 on stationary bike.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    It varies. I burn anywhere between 300-1000 per session, depending on what I do, how long I do it, and fatigue levels. The 900-1000 sessions do not happen often, but I try to make them happen a few times a month. And it usually takes me 2-2.5 hours to achieve so I have to spend a great portion of my time there. On an average day I'd say I do 500-700 calories and that is over 75 to 90 minutes. It seems like a lot of calories but I spend a lot of time at the gym when I go.
  • bika21
    bika21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Definitely depends on what you do at each session. For me it will look something like this: 30 mins cardio ( treadmill, elliptical or bicycle) and 30 to 45 mins doing strength routines. I burn between 300-600 calories in about 1:15:00at normal intensity. There is also those days that I feel like kicking some stress out where the burn cal number would raise to 700ish.
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    depending on what I'm doing anywhere between 350-650. I usually average around 450 though
  • sharde8691
    sharde8691 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I burn 350-700 depending on how hard I work at the gym. I use myPolar FT7 to get my calorie count.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Around 400-500 at the moment, mixing up the cardio machines. I do weights in between but I don't count those on my calorie expenditure.
  • malcolmjcooper
    malcolmjcooper Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I never get off the cross trainer until I've done 500 that is my goal. As my weight drops off it takes longer but I love it
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    It varies. At the gym I might run 10 or 15mi and burn up to 1,600. I might be on the bike and only burn 500 for an hr. On my long runs outside (20mi+) I burn a lot more. Never trust the machine cal readings. Get a HRM.