Does Dinner Time Matter?

Do you think it matters what time you eat your evening meal?

Some say you shouldn't eat after a certain time but sure if calories are less than calories out, you should lose?

Would love to hear your views!

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Meal timing is personal preference.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    I eat at all different times. depending on my schedule. I work second shift.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    No. It doesn't matter when you eat for weight loss. For personal preference, dietary adherence, eat in a way that you find sustainable
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    If meal timing mattered, what would happen if I traveled from the east coast to the west coast 3 hour time difference? Is my body going to immediately adjust for that change? Or even worse if I went overseas...

Calories in / Calories out and please please please when you hear anything weight loss related apply common sense, question it, research it .. after that make a decision.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Meal timing in general doesn't matter for weight loss.

I think the theory behind the not eating after a certain time is to curb evening snacking which tends to be a problem for a lot of people. If this is an issue for you then you have to find alternatives. Some people brush their teeth or chew gum or even just go to bed earlier Some people find other things to occupy their hands or minds like crafts, games, reading, etc.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    No
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Nope. We always eat between 7:30 and 8:30 and I have a snack every night around 10:00 - 10:30 if my calorie deficit is too low. Still losing steadily. But beyond that, I used to stop eating religiously at 8:30 every night, and was still gaining weight, because I was eating 3,000 calories per day before that.

That said, I find that I may not sleep as well if I eat certain things or a very heavy meal an hour before bed, but that's to do with body chemistry, nothing else.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Nope.
  • I don't think eating after a certain time helps/hurts weight loss, but most articles on the subject suggest eating before 7:00pm because of digestive problems. Because your metabolism is slowing down you can get heartburn, indigestion, so on and so forth. For me personally, if I eat anything more than cereal or some crackers after 7:30, I will have indegestion, and it makes it hard to sleep!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Meal timing is personal preference.

this
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    If meal timing mattered, what would happen if I traveled from the east coast to the west coast 3 hour time difference? Is my body going to immediately adjust for that change? Or even worse if I went overseas...

Calories in / Calories out and please please please when you hear anything weight loss related apply common sense, question it, research it .. after that make a decision.

I believe that is called "reverse metabolism" since you are traveling backwards in time, your metabolism automatically revs itself out..that is why your burn more calories flying out west....
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    I don't think it matters and is a personal preference. Because of indigestion and heartburn problems, I try not to eat after 7-7:30pm.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Meal times do not inherently increase or decrease weight loss. However, eating and then immediately going to bed can cause indigestion/heartburn in some people. Some people find that eating/drinking before bed makes it harder to fall asleep/more likely to wake up to use the bathroom. Some people find that a food cut off helps prevent snacking.

Personally, I try not to eat after 7 because I go to bed at 9:30 pm so that I can fall asleep easily.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Personal preference is the only thing that matters for meal timing. Eat when you want to eat. Like you said if you are in a deficit it doesn't matter.
  • Thank you for your replies! It's interesting to hear your views, and another myth busted!

I try not to worry and eat when I'm hungry, which does sometimes have me eating dinner at 9pm.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Do you think it matters what time you eat your evening meal?

Some say you shouldn't eat after a certain time but sure if calories are less than calories out, you should lose?

Would love to hear your views!

It DOES NOT matter when you eat, even if it's close to bed (although you may not sleep as well if you go to bed with a full stomach). Your running daily caloric intake is what matters. I've eaten my meal at morning, noon, and night, preferring now to keep it between 6 to 9 pm, which is oddly "breakfast" for me since I work nights. It is simply personal preference.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Not at all.