No carbs after lunch?

Options
2»

Replies

• PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yeah i've read books on this and it's sounds like it made sense but idk..The explanation for this is they think you have more energy during the day so your body burns more allowing you to eat those carbs. At night your body starts to wind down..when you eat those carbs at night they don't burn off as much as they would during the day.

Made sense to me when i read the Bob Harper book..but typing it out now sounds silly
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Dumb. I eat the majority of my carbs (around 100-150) in the evening and still lose weight/BF.

Time for an explanation or new PT
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where the bro-science "no carbs after lunch" notion started, but it somehow seems common in the personal trainer world. Bob Harper from the biggest loser used to say it, so that certainly didn't help.

I think some personal trainers just give very crazy extreme advice to people b/c they assume their clients won't actually do it, but will do some sort of moderated version of it. So they'll tell you to eat 1200 calories per day assuming that you're actually going to eat twice as much as they tell you.

I think it may be because a lot of carb loaded foods are the "junk" food we all know and love and are packed with a lot of calories. Rather than tell someone that they can eat these types of foods if their calories allow or whatever the reason may be, they just use it as a blanket statement to make it easier on themselves.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    When you see your PT again, smack the hell out of him/her.
    yep.. this and im a personal trainer.i would never give that advice!!!!! hell i eat carbs when ever the hell i feel like it!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hey!

No carbs after lunch certainly makes no sense, BUT I had a nutritionist that recommended me not to eat grains, starchy roots and even fruit after 6pm (I was on a 1300 cal diet). I would certainly eat carbs, but they would be from vegetables (pumpkins, carrots, beetroot, green beans...) and dairy only. In fact, I was limiting a lot the amount of grains and potatoes from my diet, eating small portions only at breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack at the latest. I must say it made a huge difference for me. Oh, and that didn't apply if I went to the gym at night. In that case, she recommended a banana (and a whey protein shake) after the training session.

Following that advice is easy for me because lunch is my biggest meal, and I don't miss the starch so much in the evening. And, of course, that advice was given to me by a professional based on my own habits and needs. Yours might be different...

If you want, add me so that you can see my diary...

Cheers!

Edited to fix a grammar mistake. Oops!

Did your nutritionist give any reason for this? To me, it just sounds like another method of restricting calories. I'm glad you found something that works for you, I am just honestly curious about the reasoning behind this advice from a professional's standpoint.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    New.Trainer.
  • catdevrandom
    Options
    Did your nutritionist give any reason for this? To me, it just sounds like another method of restricting calories. I'm glad you found something that works for you, I am just honestly curious about the reasoning behind this advice from a professional's standpoint.

Well, it's been a few years so I might be remembering incorrectly (that is, I'm not sure I heard this from her or if I read it somewhere), but I think she did mention that starch gives "easier", faster energy that was not needed in the evening when I was going to sleep soon.

To put this in context, you have to know that where I'm from, we have big lunches with rice and beans, while dinners are typically lighter (soup, sometimes a sandwich), but it can also be that we eat leftovers from lunch. And at that time I was going to the gym at around 9am. So for me it just made sense that I got my daily amount of starch right after the gym and at the time that I was used to getting them anyway.

But I agree with what you said: it could be that her recommendation was to prevent me from eating another big meal in the evening (leftovers) or eating sandwiches with too much bread, too little protein, and favoring something lighter but filling (omelets with salad and veggies, for example).

But if you are truly curious, I can send her a message and ask :)

Cheers!