Another Benefit to Heavy Lifting!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    ...heavy lifting is actually increasing my strength ...

It's also going to significantly help with injury prevention.

No-brainer really, that's essentially the function of cross training...
    There are people in the gym with "nagging" injuries over the years of lifting.

In the context of the original post, a runner adding resistance training, it's going to help mitigate injury risk.

As you point out, if someone concentrates on a single discipline at the expense of cross training, injury risk is increased.
    Disagree. Training is training. Exercise is exercise. Cross training is more about "balancing" your workout. Doing it isn't going to reduce injury. Less soreness, more than likely. Better performance and strength overall, more than likely. Decreasing injury, unfounded.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Niner: No disrespect to you because I often value your viewpoint, but there is definitely research that discusses the value of things like Balance Training, Flexibility Training, and improving one's quad : hamstring strength ratio to reduce things like non-contact ACL injuries. I've had to read more peer-reviewed research about this stuff for my MS program than I care to admit to and it's also included in the NASM-PES training.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    More muscle should slow down long distance runs because it requires more energy and oxygen to perform...no? That is why sprinters are jacked and long distance runners are generally very thin.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    More muscle should slow down long distance runs because it requires more energy and oxygen to perform...no? That is why sprinters are jacked and long distance runners are generally very thin.

Triathletes might not fit that mold.

ayesha.jpg
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Triathletes might not fit that mold.

ayesha.jpg

That isn't a lot of muscle at all...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ..... help with injury prevention.

....... help mitigate injury risk.

isn't going to reduce injury.

I'd note that neither of my statements equate to your statement.

injury risk <> injury...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

It's a question of focus in the resistance training that runners do. As sprinters require more explosive power and anaerobic effort their resistance training is going to emphasise that. Distance runners are looking to compensate for specificity, aid muscular endurance and improved core strength so will tend to emphasise that.

But you're sight insamuch as significant upper body mass doesn't aid distance running performance, but again you're into what's the most appropriate approach for desired outcomes. Triathletes do need more upper body mass to support the swim phase and ride whilst assuring lower core fatigue when approaching the run phase.