Confused and nervous...

Options
Hello all,
I am confused because I have been creeping around MFP for a while now and have noticed something .. Why am I so much heavier than people whose measurements are bigger than mine?? I'm feeling a little discouraged. I have heard that muscle weighs more than fat, but this is a little rediculous. I am a fairly active person, I'm a dancer and dance teacher, and a student running around campus all the time. I do cardio, roughly 20 min three to four times a week, but I spend a lot more time in the weight room. I have always been a dancer and cheerleader, and yes I have a lot of muscle I guess.

But my weight, for my size, is a lot- at least compared to other people.

I am 5'10". My bust is 36, my waist is 30 and my hips are 40. My thighs are 25.

I weight 185 pounds.

Am I unhealthily over weight? My BMI says so, at 27 point something. I guess I am just worried that my weight is unhealthy.

Does anyone else out there have this same problem??

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Save yourself the confusion and nervousness... Stop comparing yourself to everyone else.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Save yourself the confusion and nervousness... Stop comparing yourself to everyone else.

I strongly echo this advice!

Seriously... focus on you. Your measurements in relation to others is a pointless concern.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    BMI is a really poor indicator of health and weight in general. Your measurements sound great and it's obvious you're fit and healthy. You are probably one of the more muscular, physically fit people around.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about others. :flowerforyou:

Chances are as a dancer that you do in fact have more muscle. If that is the case then ignore BMI and focus on body fat %. It will tell you what a healthy weight is for you. Im 5'8" currently 185 and not nearly as thin as you. Bust 39, waist 34, hips 45, thigh 25.5. I will ALWAYS be bigger than other ladies my height. My frame is large and I am prone to being on the muscular end of the spectrum. My body fat % goal is still going to leave me overweight by BMI chart standards so I ignore that measurement.
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    First off, are you comparing yourself to shorter women? You are tall which I think has a lot to do with your weight vs. your measurements. I am tall too - 5'11 and weigh 174. My weight is pretty high compared to LOTS of women but has alot to do with my height and athletic build.

Being a dancer, you probably do have more muscle and build which also contributes to your higher weight. I know with the suggested weight ranges, you will often see a disclaimer that states muscular builds will see a higher BMI because of their muscle mass, even though they’re not necessarily overweight.

Look in the mirror - do you look overweight? If not, don't worry about it. It sounds to me that you are very healthy :)
  • loiseden
    loiseden Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm on MFP for completely different reasons to you. I too am 5'10" but weigh an horrific 283lbs at the moment (although I am working hard to reduce this -22lbs loss so far). I just wanted to confirm what others were saying on here, that you shouldn't compare yourself to others, as long as you know you lead a healthy and fit lifestyle you should be more than happy with yourself.

When I joined the Armed Forces many moons ago I weighed 180lbs and registered as overweight according to their charts. I was independently assessed by a doctor who concluded that I was perfectly healthy and didn't have a weight problem. We are all very different and charts should only ever be used as a basic guideline