Help

Options
LeeBee31
LeeBee31 Posts: 1 Member
I am looking for help in starting a workout routine. I am overweight and I would like to lose weight and tone up. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with what to do in terms of a workout routine for the week? I'm not sure if cardio should be done everyday along with weights? Or how long is the appropriate time to workout?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    nothing should be done every day, you could alternate cardio and weights for example and have a whole day off too for repair.
  • chasingdreams18
    chasingdreams18 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I started out I just did walking no weights (6 days a week) and lost 48 pounds in 4 months. WALKING is great exercise.

You are welome to add me if you like!

Good luck on your journey!
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    LeeBee,
    Cardio can be done everyday as long as you don't do your lower body that day. I do both on strength days and run on my off days from weights. To lose weight you have to increase your heart rate to achieve success. If you haven't been in the gym or working out for a while I would start light like a 30 minute bike ride at a pace that you can handle. Do this for a week and then increase it every week. Get to a point where you can do 2 miles and or 5 miles before you start on a treadmill. Then do the same as in do a slight jog for 20 to 30 minutes and then look at the miles. Get to 5 miles and go from there. Always look at your intake also in food. Eat right and exercise. Let me know if you want more just send a message and I will help. I ex military.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting to exercise, start with walking. Set a goal of 30 minutes per day, at whatever pace you find comfortable. Once you get into this routine, then you can add other types of cardio, or increase time, speed or whatever. But for someone who is just starting, it is both effective and simple. If you need months to progress to anything else, it does not matter, it is normal. If you decide you never want to add anything else, again fine, walking is great exercise. Absolutely do not start with anything high impact or running or advanced classes, it is both not necessary and a risk for a beginner. You can add free weights or some other type of resistance training in parallel, 2-3 times per week.