Walk Away the Pounds

Options
I would like to see some success stories using these programs. I did the 3 mile power walk to try it out over the weekend and I really liked it. However, I saw some other posts on here about how that just won't do much for you since it's just walking and the same moves. I thought I sweat quite a bit through it. I know it's not insanity or Jillian, but right now I'm trying to lose fat and once I get down about 20-25 pounds will worry about toning up, which I think insanity or jillian is good for. Thoughts?!?!

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Walking is good exercise, once you feel ready you can throw in some strength training or whatever you like to do but there is nothing wrong with a good walk.
  • shellysexbomb
    Options
    Walking will burn the fat. It will tone up your legs and bum too. When you are more comfortable start doing an upper body workout. You are doing the right thing, stick with it, ANY exercise is better than none after all :)
  • petefromguelph
    petefromguelph Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Definitely search Leslie Sansone - will come up with a bunch of threads on here - people have definitely had success. From what I have learned, looks like a lot of folks prefer lifting over Leslie but to each their own... check out the search function and im sure you will find a lot of answers... good luck! (and congrats on current weight loss!)
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 lbs with diet change/calorie deficit and Wii Fit. If you are sedentary, then WATP is a find place to get started and help ease you in. Walking is a great total body exercise and it does lots of good things. It will not make you super toned though - you'll need more intensity and more focus on toning (with dedicated exercises, with or without weights). I see no reason not to stick with it for now and when it becomes easy, move on to something harder.
  • melissarmonroe
    melissarmonroe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The thing is, I can do insanity (can even do the warmup without stopping), I can do Jillian. However, I had to stop insanity due to shin splints which are now almost healed. I'm debating on going back to that or sticking with something lower impact and I really liked the one Leslie work out I did.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you're just talking about weight loss, it doesn't matter what you do for exercise. The only thing that matters for weight loss is making sure you have a calorie deficit. So as long as you're within the limits set by MFP, you'll lose.

Now, as far as fitness goes, I agree with the others who say walking is excellent. And with her videos, you even get other moves mixed in. Even some light resistance work on certain ones. However, I also agree with with time, your body does adapt and you need to keep mixing it up. Eventually you'll want to do something more intense to get the results you're looking for. But for now, WATP is a great start!

There is no need to wait to do strength training. That's a huge myth that's been perpetuated for too long. If you know you're going to want to firm up, start working those muscles now! :)

ETA: Ultimately it's about being consistent and getting active. If you like the workouts, do them! Who cares what other people think! When your shin splints heal, then go back to Insanity if you want. Or do both - it doesn't have to be one or the other.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I would like to see some success stories using these programs. I did the 3 mile power walk to try it out over the weekend and I really liked it. However, I saw some other posts on here about how that just won't do much for you since it's just walking and the same moves. I thought I sweat quite a bit through it. I know it's not insanity or Jillian, but right now I'm trying to lose fat and once I get down about 20-25 pounds will worry about toning up, which I think insanity or jillian is good for. Thoughts?!?!

I do Leslie Sansone all the time.....you don't have to do high impact to be effective. Apples & oranges....Jillian is mostly high impact circuit training Leslie is mostly cardio (even with walking weights...it's cardio).

I really like Leslie for cardio, you CAN push yourself with her workouts.....well, long distance runners probably not. When you're ready (or bored)......you can add extra arms, light handweights (heavy ones are kinda scary).....add bigger knees, plyo type moves, jogging intervals.....whatever you can do. That's what is so great, you can customize to your needs.

For toning.....I like straight strength workouts, not the circuit type.
  • dragonfly123321
    dragonfly123321 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    do you live near some where that has a lot of stairs like a stadium or at least somewhere you can keep walking up & down them it burns a lot of cals & is good to mix it up a bit
  • pistachiopeas
    pistachiopeas Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others have said regarding walking. It is great exercise. Try to push yourself to go at least at a pace of 3.5 mph. Keep it up! Don't get discouraged.