Options

Replies

• Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Why start?... Great arguments are lost that way...being eloquent is better

this

+1

Maybe when you are 123 years old. I am OK with that.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Agree 100%

I was the girl who could tell you off and cut you down to size without swearing.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I told my kids I realize they are going to swear.

They need to understand life is a game and they need to learn how to play it. Adults don't like to hear kids swear and that's what I expected from them. No cursing around me or my wife or other adults. What they say around their friends is up to them.

I will say though that is is funny to hear, "Hahahaha I fragged your ****ing *kitten*!" coming from your 14 yr old's room while they are playing Xbox. I gently go remind them that the language isn't appropriate if I can hear it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I started at about 18 months, but I've always been a bit on the mature side.
  • turlockmike
    Options
    Cursing shows a lack of self discipline and only really shames yourself.

There are times where cursing might be obvious, but self-control should be a goal.

Teach your kids that cursing is "not" cool and that often, it is used in mean spirited ways and even when joking, it can be taken incorrectly.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Teach your kids that cursing is "not" cool

Because when your parents tell you something isn't "cool," you'll NEVER do it. What teenager wants his parents to think he's uncool???
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I told my kids I realize they are going to swear.

They need to understand life is a game and they need to learn how to play it. Adults don't like to hear kids swear and that's what I expected from them. No cursing around me or my wife or other adults. What they say around their friends is up to them.

I will say though that is is funny to hear, "Hahahaha I fragged your ****ing *kitten*!" coming from your 14 yr old's room while they are playing Xbox. I gently go remind them that the language isn't appropriate if I can hear it.

I like this answer. You have a realistic view on how kids act when they aren't being watched by their parents.

That's how my dad was for the most part. To this day I go to him with everything and I never tell him lies, because he showed me respect and it was returned.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    All the vocabulary shaming in this thread makes me really ****ing sad.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    2-3, as it's adorable. And as Cool Aunt Amber, I get to be the teacher :drinker:

I disagree, I do not think it's adorable at all. When I hear a small child cuss, I think that child must have some lousy parents.

Really?

Get off of your high horse.

My son overheard me swear once when I did not realize that he was around. I stubbed my toe.

Pardon me for not using a word that I would have used during my graduate work or in a professional setting. People swear.

I am perplexed as to why so many people tend to get up in arms of swearing. There is a time and a place for everything.

Anyway, he decided to use the word that he learned in front of others and we corrected the behavior. The end.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Cursing shows a lack of self discipline and only really shames yourself.

There are times where cursing might be obvious, but self-control should be a goal.

Teach your kids that cursing is "not" cool and that often, it is used in mean spirited ways and even when joking, it can be taken incorrectly.

I assure you I have no issues with self discipline. I really do not understand topics like this. This is an entirely cultural artifact, it has no direct influence on intelligence, health, longevity, or success in life. Your feelings on the topic are purely the result of your own personal experiences and have no correlation to the experience of anyone else, so trying to judge someone using your standards, when they are not the standards of the other person, is only a reflection of YOU.
  • rml_16
    Options
    2-3, as it's adorable. And as Cool Aunt Amber, I get to be the teacher :drinker:

I disagree, I do not think it's adorable at all. When I hear a small child cuss, I think that child must have some lousy parents.

I had pretty awesome parents. They just swore a lot. *shrug*

I don't really swear much as an adult, though.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

I understood the concept of context and how to use it.

Whatever age this happens. If you understand there are times that are not appropriate and times that is is, and aware of who is around you and so on, then you are old enough.

I'm going to go with this.

Having said that if swearing goes on to stifle creative insults then I would have to get out the collected works of Shakespeare and a lesson would follow:

“Thou art like a toad; ugly and venomous.”

or

“Thine face is not worth sunburning.”
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%

I was the girl who could tell you off and cut you down to size without swearing.

So swearing is bad yet cutting one down to size is better?

What about having a rational discussion instead?
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows that its ok to be mean as long as you don't use the evil words.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I haven't drawn a line in the sand about cursing yet.
    They heard from a commercial that they should stop using the word "gay." I ended up talking to my 8 year old about what that word is supposed to mean, what it means now, and how it's being mis-used to hurt people. And I also explained to her that it's never ok to use that kind of language to hurt people.

I haven't come up with a policy on cursing except that I don't want my kids to use those words. I thought about waiting until they can understand what some of those words mean. For now, it's enough to know that those words are bad words.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    90ish
  • SalemBoSox88
    Options
    I think its up to the surroundings they grew up in.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    If swearing is the worst thing I have to worry about with my kids, I count myself lucky. I'm not going to get worked up over it.
    I was a science dweeb, a national honor society kid, grew up on Shakespeare and I swore.
  • jasoncbackus
    jasoncbackus Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I agree 100%!
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Agree 100%

So swearing is bad yet cutting one down to size is better?

What about having a rational discussion instead?
    Cutting one down to size is done by intelligently countering their arguments to the point that they surrender. That is a discussion!