I'm afraid this isn't working.

Options
2»

Replies

• kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Glad you responded by laughing ... :-) And keep up the good work. It will definitely help that you have a supportive spouse who can laugh with you about these things and enjoy healthy meals with you. :-)

Absolutely! I've noticed the large amount of man-bashing on this site, but my hubby is AWESOME.

ps - he cooks, too :happy:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    That's a really good point srb2000, I wish I knew what my body fat % is.

Word of caution: calipers and the digital readers can be off by as much as 4-5% higher or lower. The only true body fat reading you can get is from the test where you are immersed in H2O. I had a trainer at my gym measure me with calipers 4 times in the same sitting and she got a different reading each time. I suggest taking your measurements, get rid of the scale and the calipers, keep doing what you are doing:smile: Remember it's called a work out because it's work:bigsmile: , no easy fixes unfortunately Try and stay focused on being fit and healthy:flowerforyou:
  • nickip
    nickip Posts: 11
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. Your body can sometimes try to resist the weight loss. If you keep up the healthy eating and exercise you should soon see the weight coming off. If not than you may need to change something, like your workout routine or perhaps check closely for some hidden calories, surgar or carbs that you may be taking in.

Good Luck!!
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who was struggling! I'm 5'8" and 167 pounds. I want to lose about 10 pounds...or at least lose the belly flab. I tend to build muscle quickly, so I figured this is why the scale hasn't moved in a month. I also have no problem eating all my calories, considering I have low blood sugar and have to eat 5-6 times a day just to act like a human being! I actually usually go over a bit, but don't sweat it, since if I don't eat, I honestly get psycho!! I also kickbox about 3-4 times a week. So, I know I'm getting my exercise. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's comments ...its given me some much-needed validation!
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Read this whole thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi
    It looks like it's about you :smile:

Good luck and be patient :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    That's a really good point srb2000, I wish I knew what my body fat % is.

Word of caution: calipers and the digital readers can be off by as much as 4-5% higher or lower. The only true body fat reading you can get is from the test where you are immersed in H2O. I had a trainer at my gym measure me with calipers 4 times in the same sitting and she got a different reading each time. I suggest taking your measurements, get rid of the scale and the calipers, keep doing what you are doing:smile: Remember it's called a work out because it's work:bigsmile: , no easy fixes unfortunately Try and stay focused on being fit and healthy:flowerforyou:

Oh, they have a new one too MKeithly (well it's apparently not THAT new, but it's pretty new to me since I only heard about it for the first time about 4 months ago on this site) its called a DEXA machine, and it's suppose to be very accurate. If you have one in a clinic near you that is probably the most accurate way to get it done. I have seen a few places that offer these tests (luckilly, in the Boston area there is a plethora of clinics and teaching hospitals) and they go for about $150 a test. I imagine you could get it for less if you found one at a teaching hospital.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Hi kerri,

I think that you are going through what all of us go through when we reach the point where our body's no longer have copious amounts of fat to lose. It get's harder at this point. I chronicaled this in my expectations post (i'll link it, I have it here somewhere). It's in my newbies post too so maybe I'll just link that.

It's hard, I am the first one to admit. I am where you are as well, I am at a 24 BMI and working to get my stomach back (it's now flat again, and my abs are strong, but still under the inch or so of loose skin and fat) and the little bit of area some call love handles that I still want to get rid of. My only advice is, at this point, you need to settle in for the long haul, shaping your body is much harder then loosing excess weight. I don't expect to lose those areas any time soon, maybe by the end of the summer they will be gone if I work hard and keep up my healthy eating. If you adjust your expectations realistically, and think of it long term, I think you will feel better. It may take 6 months to a year to get it where you want it, but by then you will have learned what it takes to stay there; and that's the most important part!

here is that post I said I'd link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

Oh, BTW, are you at King Richard's Faire in your profile picture? I love the Wench outfit, it's pretty cool. :drinker:
  • kerikitkat
    Options
    Thanks, banks, and everyone else, again. :smile:

My profile pic is from the big Texas Renaissance Festival last fall. It was last minute planning, so my costume was as well - but we ALL know we can make a wench outfit out of our closets in no time. :laugh:
  • kerikitkat
    Options
    Ok, another weekly weigh in and I've gained half a pound. My jeans don't seem any looser either. :grumble:
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Keri, maybe you should think about changing your goal weight?
    Go to http://www.self.com/fitness/nutrition/calculators/happyWeight and http://www.shape.com/fitness_tools/ideal_weight/ and see what they tell you.
    You are VERY close to your ideal weight and it's almost impossible to go below that the healthy way...

I know it sucks, because I'm in the same situation...
    :ohwell:

If you are going to lose it is going to slow.

Did you read that thread?:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi
  • kerikitkat
    Options
    Keri, maybe you should think about changing your goal weight?
    Go to http://www.self.com/fitness/nutrition/calculators/happyWeight and http://www.shape.com/fitness_tools/ideal_weight/ and see what they tell you.
    You are VERY close to your ideal weight and it's almost impossible to go below that the healthy way...

I know it sucks, because I'm in the same situation...
    :ohwell:

If you are going to lose it is going to slow.

Did you read that thread?:

Yup, I read it more than once. :smile: I'm at a 500/day deficit. At least I think I am, but when my HRM arrives in the mail, I can find out if it's accurate.

I know it's going to be slow, but... well, I mean I have friends who couldn't have had a BMI much higher than mine who lost 10, 15 pounds in a couple months for a work pool challenge. If I knew it was going to happen eventually I'd be golden, but I'm really still concerned that I'm wasting my time and need to change something. Grrr. :ohwell:

edit: that frame size estimator (by wrapping your fingers around your wrist) says I am small-framed... but I really don't think that's accurate... I would definitely say medium!?
  • grinningkat
    grinningkat Posts: 14
    Options
    Don't give up. Make it a lifestyle change instead of thinking of it like a diet. Just accept that you are going to be like this till you reach your weight regardless of how long it takes.
  • kerikitkat
    Options
    Don't give up. Make it a lifestyle change instead of thinking of it like a diet. Just accept that you are going to be like this till you reach your weight regardless of how long it takes.

Well according to edyta's Happy Weight calculator, I'm supposed to be quite happy right now. :tongue: And honestly, I'm not UNhappy. Sigh. I guess I'm just expecting too much too fast. It's hard to stay motivated though, you know? I'm depriving myself of pizza and cheeseburgers and alfredo pastas, all of which I :heart:... but are the benefits going to outweigh the loss of my favorite foods and good (not light!) beers, etc?! Bah.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    This is a great old post worth bumping. :glasses: