Caramel Frappe

Options
I am on a 1600 calorie intake. Every morning I have a Caramel Frappe from Starbucks that is 550 calories. I don't eat breakfast when I have a frappe. I feel bloated afterwards for most of the day - does the frappe have anything to do with it? I just don't understand why I feel bloated - frappes do not have salt in them.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

Replies

• emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    why are you wasting 550 calories on drinks if you want to lose weight?
    what about a nice nutritious breakfast instead?
    it's probably all the milk and other crap thats in it that makes you bloat
  • iTStaRTsN0W
    iTStaRTsN0W Posts: 106
    Options
    I agree, but not as blunt lol. There is probably sodium based on the caramel, and other unnatural flavorings that go into the frappe. I would say you should not drink it on an empty stomach. Try a slice of toast and an iced coffee.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    It's not a waste if she enjoys it. Who says you can't lose weight drinking 550 calorie indulgent beverages? I have a 500+ calorie Starbucks latte every morning... I'm down 86 lbs total.

As for the bloating and such... the milk, I would guess. Not sure.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if she likes the frappe there's nothing wrong with it.

OP - Do you have issues when consuming other dairy products in similar amounts? I'd suspect the milk before any sodium content. Maybe try it with soy milk one day and see if it still has the same effect.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I was hoping this was going to be a low calorie recipe. i will suggest getting the Seattles Best frozen caramel drink in the freezer section at the store. Add nonfat milk and make your own. Yes, its not a waste if you enjoy it, but how much are you enjoying it? with the bloating? I use lactaid milk... no bloat.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Tried this? http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/frappuccino-blended-beverages/caramel-frappuccino-light-blended-coffee

I would say it's likely the milk. I can't drink it on an empty stomach.
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You might be better off getting a sweetened caramel iced coffee instead. A large milkshake for breakfast would give anybody a belly ache. 60 carbs!
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    on 1600 calorie diet, it doesn't leave much room for anything else, that's all I'm saying
    Maybe good as a treat, but I wouldn't think it is ideal for every day
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When I worked at Starbucks I found that the low fat Frappe's made me bloaty too but the regular one did not. I know the caramel has salt in it but like a negotiable amount. I can tell you the whip is just heavy cream and vanilla flavor as we make it there. It could be the "frappe" mix. I would try switching maybe to a regular caramel latte instead and see if there is a change.
  • Susie0307
    Susie0307 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerance? Bloating is the first symptom listed:

www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/lactose-intolerance-symptoms
  • Sueb1420
    Sueb1420 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to love the Caramel Frappe from Starbucks. I do not drink then now because something changed and I started to get bloated and gas so bad no one wanted to be near me. Now I drink coffee with almond milk and a dash of sugar, makes everyone happier and I put the extra calories to healthier food. I really do miss the Caramel Frappe but my body does not.
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the double post, but maybe you could try making one at home instead? This recipe looks good! That way you can control what goes in to it and know what you're drinking.

http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/starbucks-caramel-frappuccino-light-you-can-now-make-at-home/
  • markgravity
    Options
    I am slightly addicted to Starbucks Caramel Coffee Frappes....I try and keep it to one a week.

Having trouble working out the calories / nutrition values though...can anyone help me please ?

I have a grande Caramel Decaf Coffee Frappe with soya milk , whipped cream and normally give it a dusting of cinnamon , nutmeg , chocolate and vanilla.

I fear it might take up my calorie allowance for a week !!!

Thank you all x
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    on 1600 calorie diet, it doesn't leave much room for anything else, that's all I'm saying
    Maybe good as a treat, but I wouldn't think it is ideal for every day
    I'm on 1600 calories.

The thing is, my breakfast is so large and filling that I usually skip lunch anyway, and so that large indulgent beverage is a welcome way to get lunch calories without having to eat food I have no desire to, then the 465 I have left for dinner is good enough for a nice hearty meal.

So it is quite possible to fit it in somewhere.

I can understand why some might want three full meals and a couple snacks, though.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    Holy moly! 550 calories? Seriously? Oh well... iifym and it makes you happy...
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Do you sip it slowly or drink it pretty fast (or big mouthfuls at a time)?

I find drinking milky coffee drinks too fast/in big mouthfuls can make me feel pretty blech. On an empty stomach its double as likely lol
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    so you waste 550 calories on a drink (let alone the money it cost).....first rule: DON'T drink your calories
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    you feel bloated on the mornings after you have the frappe, and only on those mornings, and you're wondering if it has anything to do with your frappe? srsly? :huh:

Evades you, logic does.

ETA: not saying you shouldn't enjoy your frappe if it makes you happy - but it sounds like it's making you uncomfortable so maybe try forgoing it?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    regardless of the calories and nutritional value, why drink something that then makes you feel ill all day?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    after you factor that in you only have 1050 calories left. It will be hard to hit your micros and macros using so many cals for a drink that has essentially nothing in it. I would re-evaluate this drink for that reason. Now if you were eating 2200 cals/day you could still easily hit your micro and macro targets getting 550 empty cals, but not on an intake as low as yours.