working out and weight loss

Options
Hi guys, I have been trying so hard to loose weight especially in my hips..but I am stuck on 135. I work out on an elliptical about 4 times a week for an hour burning 500 - 600 calories. Is there any suggestions as to what I can do to tone my hip region??

Replies

• wordsmith60
    Options
    You can do lying hip abductions and adductions. Squats also help to tone that area.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest changing up your workout routine every 4-6 weeks, to shock your system and to work different muscle groups.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Have you tried strength or weight training? Adding a little bit of muscle mass can help burn more calories during your cardio sessions. In fact, if you are relying solely on cardio exercise to lose weight, you are probably actually losing muscle as well as fatty tissue. This can cause your weight loss to plateau. I would suggest exercises such as squats, lunges, deadlifts and stepups, as these work your largest muscles and burn the most calories. Start by doing body weight versions of these exercises, and when you can do 15-20 reps, start using some light weights. When you can do 15-20 reps that way, increase the weight a little bit. Adding a little bit of muscle helps burn extra calories, and can help tone and firm up problem areas. Or you can try interval training or just change up your workout routine by varying the intensity or duration of the exercise. I would recommend a bit of strength training, but choose what seems right for you. Good luck!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    get off the elliptical and start doing weight bearing exercises like walking/ jogging intervals on the treatmill.