What's your sweetener?

Options
2»

Replies

• madbrewer
    madbrewer Posts: 10
    Options
    Raw sugar. Maple syrup.

There's no need for all these low-cal / diet / artificial / etc. sweeteners if you don't overdo natural sugars. Just eat real food, in reasonable quantities, savor every bite of it, and get a decent amount of exercise.

In my opinion, all these weird "diet" / "substitution" ingredients are a big factor in why weight control efforts fail: These things don't taste right, they make you feel somehow deprived, and you end up gobbling up everything you can while trying to get the satisfaction you'd have gotten if you had just eaten a reasonable quantity of nicely prepared REAL food.

Of course, nice fresh fruit is a wonderful sweet treat.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I use sugar or honey. I refuse to use artificial sweeteners. I don't want to acquire a taste for them. NTM only people in my family that used chemical sweeteners wound up getting cancer.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    NTM only people in my family that used chemical sweeteners wound up getting cancer.

statistics and stuff
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Sugar. Honey. Agave nectar. Depends on what I am sweetening, and what we have sitting in the cupboard.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I use sugar when a recipe calls for it...and I put 4 grams of brown sugar in my oats in the morning. I guess I've never had sugar issues to the extent that I felt like I needed to consume all kinds of artificial sweeteners...I don't think I've ever even tried any of that stuff before...at least to my knowledge I have not.
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Light Agave in my tea.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    sugar in the raw
  • yasoyyo
    yasoyyo Posts: 15
    Options
    Typically Stevia drops - I have English Toffee and Vanilla flavoured ones at hand. I often combine them with other natural or artificial sweeteners though, I find that makes for a more balanced taste.