recipes to use up my tomatoes and peppers

Options
Hi All,

I'm finally back on here after a month in which I had a vacation AND my mother-in-law was here for over 3 weeks refusing to let me cook. SO now I have 3 pounds more to lose. ANYWAY, I have an abundance of bell peppers and tomatoes in the garden that need to be picked, so i'm looking for recipe suggestions. I LOVE roasted peppers, but I can't eat them every night of the week. Anybody have any other suggestions about healthy recipes for peppers or tomatoes? Thanks!

Replies

• dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: I don't have the recipes on hand here at work but you could do stuffed peppers with ground turkey meat. And for the tomatoes I love them halved, drizzled with a little olive oil, sprinkled with parmesan cheese and a little salt, and then baked until warm and wrinkled.
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, but my brain instantly thought Salsa!!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I immediately thought salsa too... that or putting up some spaghetti sauce! :)

Also, you can easily freeze peppers to use later or just make up some homemade tomato sauce to keep in the freezer.
  • shelli1982
    Options
    for some reason i didn't even THINK of Salsa. and stuffed peppers sounds good too, thanks everyone!
  • TMLS
    TMLS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    A peppery tomato soup came to my mind ;)

Or a pasta sauce... or just put them with a nice salad.

I really need to work on variety ;)
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I though of spaghetti sauce, too! Can it up in jars and you could have a head start on Christmas presents!
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    buy some sqaush and eggplant...make a nice veggie stew, that tastes amazing cold :)
  • sutehi
    sutehi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you have room in the freezer, you can freeze roasted peppers. Or, make (and freeze) tomato sauce.

Add in any combination of onion, cucumber, zucchini, eggplant, olives, or other peppers, olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice and you're most of the way to:

* greek salad
    * gazpacho
    * fresh salsa
    * ratatouille
    * tomato sauce
    * delicious home made pizza

Unfortunately I don't usually use recipes when cooking from the garden; I'll just improvise with whatever is on hand. But if you look for Mediterranean dishes, you should find plenty.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    You could make stuffed peppers. Fill the bell peppers with cooked ground chuck, whole wheat rice dice up the tomatoes and dice up peppers, celery, onions and whatever else you want and put it in the pepper with cheese and cook it. YUM!!
  • mindymoe1
    Options
    do soup! yummy yummy yummy. or a roasted tomato and olive oil pasta salad. bake a loaf of sliced itallian bread drizzled in olive oil pepper and salt and then slice tomatoes and place on top of bread. its really good with soups and pastas. pepper and tomato omelete, make tomato juice for bloody marys or to drink like a V8. stir fry,use the peppers for a itallian beef and pepper sanwhich
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti sauce, salsa, soup, you could make fajitas, omlettes, pizza, chili. Use them in stir fry or to make wraps, salads, etc!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Pasta sauce or salsa for sure!

Also you could try a tomato, pepper, chicken & brown rice recipe:

1. Boil water for rice.
    2. Saute the peppers in a couple tablespoons e.v.o.o., along with minced garlic, finely chopped parsley, salt & pepper.
    3. Allow the peppers to cook a few minutes, then add in (x) boneless skinless chicken breast (depending on how many you're cooking for).
    4. Season the chicken, brown on both sides, and when fully cooked add in your blended fresh tomatoes and 1 can of tomato paste.
    5. Drop you rice, and follow directions on bag of rice.
    6. Have sauce, peppers, & chicken mixture start to boil, then reduce heat. and allow the sauce become thickened.
    7. Place a generous scoop of sauce & one portion of chicken over 1 cup portion of brown rice.

Hope that helps!
  • thenebean9
    Options
    make some chili!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Omgosh! Sooo many ideas :) Salsa, stew, ratatouille, soups, pasta...

If you like eggs, try this recipe out. Add an additional pepper if you like and use 3 large tomatoes with their juices. Makes a ton and the whole family will like it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/123386-eggs-poached-in-a-tomato-corn-and-black-bean-stew-with-fe
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    make some chili!

brilliant!
  • ljacobson
    ljacobson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I also have many pepper and tomatoes in my garden, and this recipe is one of my favorites to get rid of the excess. I like to use corn tortillas instead of flour, they are a bit healthier and less calories that way. Hope you find this helpful!

Vegetarian Tacos

6 Servings Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.

Ingredients

6 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into wedges
    2 medium green peppers, cut into 1/2-inch slices
    2 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
    1 envelope taco seasoning
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 can (16 ounces) vegetarian refried beans, warmed
    12 taco shells, warmed
    1 cup taco sauce

Directions
    In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, green peppers, onions, taco seasoning and oil. Arrange in a single layer on two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 475° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
    Spread beans over half of each taco shell. Fill with vegetable mixture; drizzle with taco sauce. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 2 tacos equals 303 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1,252 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 7 g protein.
  • EmmmyK
    EmmmyK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Make some tacos, with regular corn tortillas not the crunchy ones. Add ground turkey or chicken with spices and you have yourself a fantastic tasty dinner..add brown rice, and black beans..you can also add cilantro if you like into your black beans I do that for yummy flavor..I think I will make that for dinner tonight...:)

Good Luck..

Emily
  • shelli1982
    Options
    you guys are AWESOME! I am so inspired I just went and picked all of my peppers and tomatoes. I'm definitely going to try making a sauce, i've never tried it but it's a rainy day so.. perfect :) And the vegetarian tacos sound GREAT.. especially since i'm a vegetarian. I like the idea of freezing stuff too. I can't thank ALL of you enough!!!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have a salsa recipe at home that you bottle (can) but I use a pressure cooker to process the bottles. You might be able to freeze it too, I've never tried it. It's obviously cooked but I think it's yummy. If you're interested send me a message and I'll get it to you when I get home.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    here's my go-to stuffed pepper recipe! and it's vegetarian too!

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/stuffed-peppers-my-way/Detail.aspx

soooo delish and low fat too. i substitue the full fat feta with ff feta and it tastes just as good :) in fact, i'm making it tonight! good luck!