Body Boot Camp

Options
Last Tuesday my gym started a body boot camp class. I decided to give it a shot (I usually do Zumba on Tuesday) and it was really hard but I enjoyed the challenge. However.... on Wednesday and Thursday I was almost completely out of commission. I was so sore I considered calling into work ( Idid'nt) and had to force myself to just go walking on Thursday.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to not be so sore? Will it get better? Like I said, I loved the challenge, but if it takes away from my other workout days because I am too sore to move, Im not sure if its the right thing to do.

BTW.. Body boot Camp was alot of pushups and Squats.... ALOT

Replies

• balesalicia
    balesalicia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I always take my protein powder (with chia seeds mixed in) after my workouts. and im usually never sore no matter how hard i push myself.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Just from my experience, it does get easier to recover as you progress in the workouts. A day of rest in between can help. I applaud you for walking when you didn't feel up to it! I tend to gravitate towards boot camp style workouts because of the challenge and the variety so I say stick with it! Ttry it again and see what happens. There may not be such a focus on push-ups and squats in the next class. Maybe ask for some pointers from the instructor as they know exactly what you are doing in class and can give you stretches or other things to possibly alleviate the next day (or two) soreness.
  • xbboy58
    xbboy58 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 12 of a 12 week intense fitness boot camp. It was every day, 5 days a week starting at 6am for 1 hour each session. This was a huge challenge to a person with such a sedentary lifestyle, where fitness activities were limited to golf once or twice a week, spring through fall (Wisconsin). I started my program with a weight of 221. Through the help of a 1500 calorie per day diet, with a 45/25/30 balance of protein, fat & carbs, and the exercise regimen, I dropped 22 pounds and almost an inch in the waistline. I will not lie, the first week was pretty painful. Sounds crazy now but I had real hard time sitting down just to go to the bathroom, because we were working leg and calf and thigh muscles that had not been used that vigorously since college, a long time ago. But, half way into the 2nd week the pain started to ebb. By the 3rd week, I was moderately sore all over, but not debilitating. It was a "good" burn to feel on a daily basis. That burn gave you the physical confirmation that your body was working hard and "yelling" back. After a while, you actually wanted to feel that physical exhaustion, because the endorphin rush afterward is so addictive. So give yourself time and the pains will become less and less and you will start to crave the intensity. I now know what Mellancamp meant by "hurts so good". Good luck in your journey---it's a process and you'll begin to love it. I have just re-signed for another 12 weeks to conquer my next 15 pounds. Can't wait to begin again...