Need some adivce about sugar

Options
So what are some ideas to stop eating sugary foods? I seriously think I'm addicted. I get cravings throughout the day everyday. I tried doing the "don't eat sugar for a week and you won't crave it anymore" thing, but it didn't work for me, I still crave it!

My sugar cravings put the biggest dent in my diet. I like fruits, but the don't seem to satisfy the cravings as much as , say, a snickers bar or whatever.

What do you do to help rid get rid of or lessen your cravings?
Thanks!

Replies

• marian4marian
    marian4marian Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    sugar is as sugar does...in other words when i eat white sugar, then i want more. so i eat very little of it.
    i have to say i don't get so addicted to honey and maple syrup. i can eat them now and then and forget about it.
    but sugar, when i eat it, starts talking to me 2,3,6 hours later..
    fresh fruit helps, as it has sucrose in it. dairy is packed with sugar, even the sugar-free yoghurts etc. (lactose) so i notice they add up pretty fast.
    if i do eat sugar (as we all have our weak moments) i make sure to have lots of water to follow...
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    My advice... make it fit into your day. If you squeeze a little in every day, you're less likely to binge because you're not trying to be overly restrictive. Make sure you're getting enough protein, fats and fiber. These help keep you feeling full and satiated. Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Log everything, all the time. Un logged days can spell disaster in weight loss. It's calories in vs out.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    You know your limitations. If you can allow yourself a daily treat or two, do it. But if it's a binge issue, avoidance is probably the best path.

Also, consider whether there are triggers for your cravings. Are you tired? Stressed? Dehydrated? For me, I have insulin issues that cause me to crave sugar when not regulated. It took a long time and many doctor visits to figure this out. Now I keep a pretty careful eye on what I eat and have a prescription to manage my insulin levels.

If you're willing to give the fruit substitute another try, you might try having a piece of fruit along with a protein. The protein helps balance your blood sugar and avoids the "crash" that can make you crave more. Cheese, nuts, peanut butter (the plain salt and peanuts only kind), and avocados are my favorite companions to fruit.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I say everything in moderation is key. It is unrealistic to cut out sugar or added sugar from your diet 100% (as you have already found out). If you just have to have that snickers bar, pre-log it, and plan your meals around it. My cravings are usually chocolate chip cookies. If I am seriously craving them, then I'll log it to see how much calories it would take out of my day, and go from there.

If your cravings are still causing you to binge after that I would ask myself, "Is it worth sabotaging all of my hard work and progress?" Because at the end of the day, you either want it (success) or you don't.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    So what are some ideas to stop eating sugary foods? I seriously think I'm addicted. I get cravings throughout the day everyday. I tried doing the "don't eat sugar for a week and you won't crave it anymore" thing, but it didn't work for me, I still crave it!

My sugar cravings put the biggest dent in my diet. I like fruits, but the don't seem to satisfy the cravings as much as , say, a snickers bar or whatever.

What do you do to help rid get rid of or lessen your cravings?
    Thanks!

Usually it takes about 21+ days to stop a habit by developing new pathways in our brain. I'm not sure where to source it from as I've only ever heard it through someone or internet, and it has worked for me in biting my nails and changing diet.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I love sweets but I don't have a problem not eating them because I know they are not what's best for my health and they make me feel like crap. I have insulin resistance and hypoglycemia so I stay away from refined sugars.

Most of my sugar comes from fruit and greek yogurt. If I want something sweet, I will have a piece of dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa).

You can try Wrigley dessert delights gum as well.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to go three weeks, not just one.

When you have fruit, have it as part of a meal that includes a good amount of protein.

A supplement that can help prevent sugar cravings is l-glutamine.
  • 52dave62
    52dave62 Posts: 28
    Options
    2 weeks ago I ate sugar without reguard of how much, (i.e. crumbling cookies on pre sweetened cereal, and then adding spoonfuls of white sugar on top, after the milk was poured). Then I got this phone call about my bloodwork and the reality that I had exceded the a1c level and had Type 2 Diabetes. That got my attention. After studying on the internet the cause, signs and treatments, I mad a concious decision to cut out the ''white foods'', breads, potatoes, pasta, white sugar, (these are the carbs that turn to sugar I think)

2 days later I found MFP, logging everything, even if it is adding on the next day what I had eaten after closing the log last night. Sugar addiction is REAL, also craving sugar could be a symptom of something else.

Of course the hardest, but most benificial, to give up for me was the Colas, the sweet fizzy caramel colored drink. Drinking Water is so good for the body and saves boo-koo of calories for me to indulge in. Fruit and honey is what my added sweeetner is these days. Sweetened Almond/Coconut milk over cheerios or shredded wheat with a banana is my new deluxe sweet treat. Sweetened chocolate is a special treat 3 or 4 days a week, so far that is working for me.

Now, back on point, I have notied an 'iratability' in myself, like that of going through a withdrawl to caffiene, nicotine or any other substance that is addictive or habit forming. I am not sure if any of what I am posting contributes to the topic or helps anyone but for myself. I am adjusting to a new life style about eating, and since alcohol is made with an abundaunce of sugar, that is off the list of indulgences, for now, so I seek my mind alterations in other more natural ways, then I tend to ramble on too mucj. So Im a gonna stop now.