Is there such a thing as eating too much protein?

Options
I recently started using this GNC Total Lean Shake 25 twice a day as a meal replacement and incorporating about an hour of cardio (trying to burn between 500-600 cals). In looking at my Calorie Breakdown I noticed that I am having more protein than anything.

I am a very petite person (4’11) so also trying to stay within 1,200-1,500 cals.

I've lost 13 lbs. but trying a new approach to boost my weight loss and incorporating some physical activity to my daily routine.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated it!

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.
    After a certain point, protein is no longer helpful as a macro-nutrient once you've gotten what your body needs. That said, protein is something that helps a lot of people feel fuller than, say, carbs (especially if you have some fat with that protein!)
    I seriously doubt you are consuming a "dangerous" level of protein or "too much protein." Two protein shakes should only net maybe 50 grams of protein.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    not really. If you have kidney issues then you can, but you have to really eat a lot.

If you like a lot of protein, eat it. It will help you retain muscle mass anyways. I usually target around 1.25g/lb LBM, but have gone significantly higher without issue. Personally, I feel better eating high protein, but carbs taste SO good!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.
    After a certain point, protein is no longer helpful as a macro-nutrient once you've gotten what your body needs. That said, protein is something that helps a lot of people feel fuller than, say, carbs (especially if you have some fat with that protein!)
    I seriously doubt you are consuming a "dangerous" level of protein or "too much protein." Two protein shakes should only net maybe 50 grams of protein.

While you are correct that "After a certain point, protein is no longer helpful as a macro-nutrient", there are no ill-effects of eating too much unless you have other issues. After you get what you need from a nutrients perspective, it is all just energy.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.

While you are correct that "After a certain point, protein is no longer helpful as a macro-nutrient", there are no ill-effects of eating too much unless you have other issues. After you get what you need from a nutrients perspective, it is all just energy.

What I meant is that you'd have to eat an unreasonable amount of protein every day for it to start being bad for you >>
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You are probably fine. Currently in my diet 50% of my calories come from protein and I'm doubting at just two of those shakes per day you are even at 50%.

If you gave actual numbers (like grams of protein vs how many calories you eat) then I could say exactly what percent of your cals are protein but as the other posters have said you aren't going to somehow have a toxic response to "to much protein"
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As above.

I would aim for at least 1g/kg of target body weight when you've still got a bit to lose.
    (The formula normally given is .8g/lb of lean body weight, but that's harder to work out.

This helps preserve muscle while you're losing fat.
  • erica5520
    erica5520 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I appreciate your feedback.
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that although it not dangerous to eat more, there is little point in consuming more than a gram of protein per pound of body weight. I weigh 102 pounds and am also 4"11 therefore my intake would be 102 grams of protein. I frequently go over this by 30-40 grams per day though!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Yes, hence the phrase "too much."
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    <Shrug>

Although it might be true that you don't NEED more than a gram per lean lb per day of protein having more of it just means its used as a fuel source, doesn't hurt you and a lot of people find protein to be the most satiating macronutrient per unit calorie which makes higher protein diets easier since you don't feel hungry doing them.

I think you are fine doing what you are doing personally. If you can get a real meal in instead of a liquid shake that's even better but I understand there are time constraints, I myself rely on shakes at times.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Too much protein throws off the nitrogen balance in the body and causes ammonia and uric acid to be produced as a biproduct of the conversion to sugar/glucose. Uric acid and ammonia can cause illness. This is especially prevalent in those with low stomach acid.

Additionally, too much protein can be improperly digested and allowed to 'stew' in our intestines allowing it to travel to the colon where it is fermented by our natural gut bacterias. This can also cause illness and foul smelling stools (more so than normal, mind you).

The rule of thumb I have been seeing is 0.8 gm per kg body weight for weight loss, 1 gm per kg body weight for maintenance, and 1.25 gm per kg body weight for athletes.

15-25% of overall calorie goal is what I've most recently read.
  • erica5520
    erica5520 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been on the run, the shakes have helped me stay full and not reach for junk food. My days can start at 4:30 am and end at 7:30pm. Thanks for your feedback.