TDEE on stronglifts 5x5

Options
I am trying to calculate my TDEE on IIFYM website now that I have started Strong lifts.

I will do strong lifts 3 times a week. So should I put my activity level as doing working out 3 times a week?

I only ask because each session is only about 25 mins long and I dont burn many calories in that time..

Replies

• Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Yep, that is how I would calculate it
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    once you get your numbers and start on your plan

Make sure you track things...
    Weight, measurements, take pictures.....
    Do it for about 4 weeks and see where you are after that and if you need to tweak your numbers
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Yup 3x unless you are doing something else.
  • Star_1234
    Options
    Ok.. i thought maybe because they are not very long workouts and i sont burn so much in terms of calories that i should say i workout 2 times a week or something
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Im wondering how you manage to do StrongLifts in 25 minutes! I don't mean that to sound snarky at all. Just trying to figure out how you do it. :smile:
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I would look at it more as you are technically more active on days you will be doing Stronglifts so three would be appropriate. You don't really know what you are burning and a lot of people underestimate their workout. A month later they end up in a stall and can't figure out why. It's usually because they are eating too little and doing too much activity
  • Star_1234
    Options
    Im wondering how you manage to do StrongLifts in 25 minutes! I don't mean that to sound snarky at all. Just trying to figure out how you do it. :smile:

I did my first workout yesterday and only lifted 1.5kg. Im trying to get my form correct on lower weights first. So it took me 25 mins.

I was on such a high after my first session ever a couple of hours later.I didnt know that weight training could release all the 'happy' hormones. Was great!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    that is NOT how i would calculate it. the calorie burn from SL is minimal, and adding 3 workouts into your TDEE is generally overkill. Most online calculators i know of figure a "workout" in calorie terms as a relatively fast paced cardio workout, not a lifting workout with a handful of 5 rep sets.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    That's true. I guess it depends on how much you push yourself doing this program. I was sweating buckets this morning just doing my squats.. I challenged myself though (and did some cardio after). I wouldn't go by IIFYM personally.. I put my numbers in for fun the other night and it recommended that I eat a lot less and said number has already proven to not work for me. A person. Who weighs 170+ lbs and exercises 6x a week has to eat more than 1600... I would be weary.
  • eric4748
    eric4748 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing stronglift 5x5 for 2 months now, calculated my TDEE with IIFYM.com to aim for 1 pound of weight loss per week and selected exercice 3 times/week and lost about 7 pounds so far. Its 1 pounds less than i expected but i'm not complaining because my lifts haven't stalled yet and i get to eat what ever i want. Life is good :)
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Run the program for 2 weeks or so, add up all the calories you ate in that time, add 3500 lbs for every lb you loose (or subtract 3500 for every lb you gain), divide that number total by the days you've tracked, and you'll have your TDEE for those 2 weeks, which includes your workouts.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Star_1234 wrote: »
    Ok.. i thought maybe because they are not very long workouts and i sont burn so much in terms of calories that i should say i workout 2 times a week or something

Don't worry they will get longer....I was up to 90mins when I switched over to 3x5.

I agree with @charlesmauch as well that is the calculation I use.

Total calories consumed+(lbs lostx3500)/#days (typically 2-4 weeks worth)

I have always found that the websites are often high for TDEE.
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I have always found that the websites are often high for TDEE.

I always thought that too. But they're usually not off by more than a couple of percentage points if your putting the correct values in. My (calculated) TDEE is for example is currently 3733 calories, and the scooby tdee calculator has me at 3725.

I still like calculating my own numbers. :)