Protein Question

JamieLeigh318
JamieLeigh318 Posts: 4
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Yesterday was my 1st full day with tracking my food on this site, I was under the goal on everything but Protein. I dont understand if that is a bad thing, okay thing or doesnt really matter thing. My goal per the site was 53, I consumed 111 ( -58), I knew that Ribeye Steak for dinner last night would come back to haunt me. Can someone help and let me know if I really did a bad thing or if I am still on the right track or not. Thanks

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Hi there! MFP has a low setting for proteins. If you are working out (doing weights & cardio) at least 5 times per week - your protein intake should be around 110-150 per day. As long as it's lean protein - you are fine. Also, hopefully if you are eating that much protein, you are eating 6 small meals per day... If you'd like you can take a look at my diary. Hope this helped.

Good luck!
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    I am never concerned when I go over my protein. I just make sure to focus on getting lean proteins. Protein has so many benefits and for those of us working out it is essential.
  • twinsmomma02
    twinsmomma02 Posts: 79 Member
    My personal trainer has me eating a minimum of 120 grams of protein per day and said that the setting for protein in MFP is way too low for the level of activity I am doing. She also told me that it is okay to go over in protein each day and that it is better to go over in protein instead of in calories or carbs. She also said not to eat more than 35-40 grams of protein in one meal because your body can only metabolize a certain amount of protein at one time and if you eat too much protein in one meal it will turn into fat. I have been following all of her advice about my eating plan and I have lost inches, not so much on the scale, but I can tell I am gaining in muscle instead. My old size of clothes is already too big and my pants are baggy and look ridiculous on me, so I know this plan is working for me!!
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Talk to your doctor and personal trainer about what percentages of carbs, fat and protein you should be aiming for.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Generally the rule is 1 to 1.25 grams of protein per pound of body weight if you're working out trying to gain muscle.

I like to set my ratio at 40 carbs / 30 protein / 30 fat - I have used this ratio for years and it keeps me trim and fit.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Change the protein goal to 40% if you're doing any type of exercising. Mine is 45%. Protein is your FRIEND. If you reset it to 40% then you don't want to go way over, but don't worry about a little over. If you leave it the way it is don't be afraid to go way over.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    My trainer said I need to eat 1-1.5 g. of protein for every pound I weigh...the only problem is that your body can only absorb a certain amount at a time (for me at 138 lbs. it's around 25, my husband can eat around 40) the rest is a waste...so keep it lean protein and spread it out throughout the day
  • Thank you all so much for your help, I am working out 3-5 mornings a week. trying to lose some weight before focusing on gaining muscle. Thank you again
This discussion has been closed.