Drinking more water makes me thirsty?

Options
So I was never an avid water drinker. Well...I would drink lots of water at meal times only but throughout the rest of the day I never really drank water. If I had to guess, I would think I maybe had 5 glasses of water a day. Recently however I decided to up my water consumption to 8-12 glasses. Since then, I realized I'm getting thirst more frequently even though I'm drinking way more water. What's going on? I don't think I'm diabetic (at least I hope not) because this only started happening after I started drinking more water.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Drink more liquids that don't count as water
  • ainokea8
    ainokea8 Posts: 95
    Options

I'm not sure what that would be. I think it would be unhelpful to my diet and health to drink sugary drinks like soda or juice and I think I might become lactose intolerant if I attempted to drink 8 glasses of milk a day instead lol.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what that would be. I think it would be unhelpful to my diet and health to drink sugary drinks like soda or juice and I think I might become lactose intolerant if I attempted to drink 8 glasses of milk a day instead lol.

Herbal teas, black tea or coffee, milk are a few options.
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body is recognizing dehydration now or you're more aware of what your body is telling you. Keep drinking up!

It takes A TON (not a literal ton, though) of water before it becomes a bad thing.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Bump because I am curious as well. I have tried to get my boyfriend to drink more water and when he did he said that same thing and I thought he was being silly lol.
    I enjoy my water and have not had this issue so definately curious!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    So I was never an avid water drinker. Well...I would drink lots of water at meal times only but throughout the rest of the day I never really drank water. If I had to guess, I would think I maybe had 5 glasses of water a day. Recently however I decided to up my water consumption to 8-12 glasses. Since then, I realized I'm getting thirst more frequently even though I'm drinking way more water. What's going on? I don't think I'm diabetic (at least I hope not) because this only started happening after I started drinking more water.

If you are eating salty foods, that will increase your water need. Your body wants to be hydrated. I have days where I think I drink an entire lake, but most days I drink around 12 glasses. I drink more right before TOM, for a few days after a really salty day and interestingly high sugar days make me super thirsty the next day. (as in sugar from candy or junk). You could also be really dehydrated. I firmly believe that the only liquid that hydrates us properly is water. Maybe you are just playing catchup. It could also be your taste buds adjusting to the non-flavored liquid that you are drinking now. Not sure what to think, so it think you still need to drink. that will pass.

You'd have to drink gallons of water every day for it to be a real issue. So drink up!! :drinker:
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking tap water or filtered or purified water? I always get thirsty when I drink tap water ...I think there may be chlorine or flouride in it that causes this. I have a britta bottle that has a built in filter and that seemed to help alot. I also only drink bottled water when I'm out if I don't have my bottle with me.