toning your butt

Options
Hey there, I am looking for more experienced people than me who can give me some advice or suggestions on how to tone my butt and hips/handles , I dont go to a gym, and i dont have equiptment in my house, I have stairs all around my apartment, in and outside, and I have 3lb dumb bells, so , see not much , and also no experiencce in toning or what to do or not to do .

Any advice woud be greatly appreicated,

Thanks in advance for all the help !!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    squats...
  • KittenLinn
    Options
    STEP-UPS!!!! Love em' if I don't go to the gym I do them in my house with a chair. Results are amazing!
  • shaianna
    shaianna Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    WHAT ARE STEP UPS
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Step up on something, step off that something. It is quite exhausting, actually. They are the shiznit! I can't believe I didn't even think about them! I haven't done those since high school! I need to get on this.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts. You can do these with or without weights.

http://bretcontreras.com/a-squat-devotee-no-more/
  • hannahbanana0428
    Options
    Squats are the biggest help I think. Good luck!
  • wickedpursuit
    wickedpursuit Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Squats are excellent! Or, get a couple of gallon jugs, fill them with water, and use those as makeshift weights for goblet squats. You can do Romanian deadlifts with those, which works the hamstrings up through the glutes. Mule (or Donkey) kicks are also pretty kind of awesome!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Single leg lifts: pistols, skater squats, bulgarian split squats, SL glute bridges, SL hip thrusts, skater into SL bodyweight romanian dead lift.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Second this, look at the program Strong Curves. Nothing helped my butt more
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    "Toning" comes from two things: Building muscle and losing fat, two things you can't really focus on much at all. Considering your history as evidenced by your profile, I'll bet you don't have much lean mass left, so you should focus on building muscle before you can lose fat. This requires increasing calorie intake and focusing on strength training. If all you're limited to is bodyweight work, you need to check out the app or book You Are Your Own Gym.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    You can do squats and step ups with the weights too. Just hold them in your hands as you do them.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    squats
    lunges
    weighted sled pushes
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    squats
    lunges
    weighted sled pushes

Why no hip thrusts? I still don't get why so many people are ignoring these in favour of squats/dead lifts/lunges. They have been shown to have the highest rate of glute activation. Still need to do the other exercise but hip thrusts are a must in my book if you're aiming to grow your glutes
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

Second this, look at the program Strong Curves. Nothing helped my butt more

thirding... really his website has everything you need (although I do want his book too).
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Other people have suggested great things. Squats and lunges are IMO the simplest, and you can do them while you're doing other things - try doing squats while you brush your teeth and while things are in the microwave. If you lay around on your stomach (for example while reading or on the computer) try kicking your legs up while you do.

Also walk up stairs a bunch, cardio *and* a good workout for your butt.
  • wideturn
    wideturn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am working on the same thing! Look up on youtube how to do 'donkey kicks', squats, and bridges. I say to look up on youtube (or any sight with video or step by step pictures) because if you're not working with a trainer and you don't know what to do, it helps to SEE how it should be done. I also take kettle bells (you can use any weights or even a backpack) and walk up and down the stairs. Hope this helps :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    squats
    lunges
    weighted sled pushes

Why no hip thrusts? I still don't get why so many people are ignoring these in favour of squats/dead lifts/lunges. They have been shown to have the highest rate of glute activation. Still need to do the other exercise but hip thrusts are a must in my book if you're aiming to grow your glutes

I have never done a hip thrust...just squats and deadlifts...my butt is great.

I have watched videos and to be frank hip thrusts don't look comfortable and they look dangerous if you aren't quite sure what to do....

and yes I have tried them...I don't like them at all.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    squats
    lunges
    weighted sled pushes

Never done them.
  • KittenLinn
    Options
    Step up on something, step off that something. It is quite exhausting, actually. They are the shiznit! I can't believe I didn't even think about them! I haven't done those since high school! I need to get on this.

You're not kidding, they are exhausting.
    They are so amazing! I was doing a million squats a day, no results then added in step ups and wow!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Oh another one....
    Man stair master kills me.