Does the body get used to eating less?

Options
I have my calories set at 1680/day (lose 1/2 lb. a week). It's as low as I can go. I'll take the slower weight loss. I am hungry!!! :( Does the body get used to eating less, and eventually I won't be hungry all the time??!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's probable that you are eating the wrong types of foods. If you want to feel full, eat foods high in protein and fats and lower your carbs. You can also open your diary for more feedback.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your body gets used to just about anything with time. It will get easier.

In the meantime, make sure you're getting enough protein and fiber. Those will keep you fuller longer. Drink more water - actually log your water to make sure you're doing it - because often people confuse the feelings of hunger and thirst. Also, your fruits and vegetables will be important in giving you more volume of food on less calories, which can make you more comfortable. And exercising gives you the opportunity to eat some of the calories that you burn back, so do that if you feel like you need to eat more.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    This is a very good link to help you decide if your plan is set-up correctly:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!! It will take some time, take some patience, and it will take eating foods that will "fill you". If you have to have 6 mini meals instead of the typical breakfast lunch and dinner with a couple small snacks in between.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set at 1680/day (lose 1/2 lb. a week). It's as low as I can go. I'll take the slower weight loss. I am hungry!!! :( Does the body get used to eating less, and eventually I won't be hungry all the time??!

What's your current weight?

How many grams of protein per day are you targeting?

How many servings of fruit are you eating per day?

How many servings of veggies are you eating per day?

What proportion of your total calories is coming from fat?
  • MikesGirl0692
    Options
    152 (5'6 female), trying to get back to 142. I don't know on the others. :-O
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

What type of exercise do you do? Also, do you track your food in the food diary?

Can you open your food diary? Use the link below to set your account to public.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

Okay, well your calories are reasonable relative to your weight. So the problem isn't that you're eating too few calories.

The fact that you don't have any answers to my other questions highlights likely areas that can help regulate hunger. Eating sufficient amounts of the aforementioned variables (protein, fiber, fructose, and fat) goes a LONG way in hunger regulation.

I take you're not tracking your food intake. Why not start?
  • rrlwelter
    rrlwelter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So that's why you log everything you eat, and check more than the calories. Check that you are getting sufficient protein, and that the carbs you eat are not refined/simple. Make sure you're hydrated: even if you don't think you're thirsty, you probably are. Get used to drinking at minimum 64 oz of water in addition to any coffee, soda, energy drinks you have.

Yes, eventually your body will become accustomed to smaller amounts of food, but it needs to be food that will actually fuel your body rather than just a caloric count.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It gets easier with time. I personally believe your intake capacity adjusts over time. I can't handle the big meals I used to eat when I was much heavier. I'd much rather eat smaller meals throughout the day.

I noticed if I eat less carbs and more proteins and fats, I feel satisfied longer. Less late night hunger, too. I'm currently aiming for 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein. I also try to space the food out more evenly throughout the day. I struggle to hit my protein goals, so I've discovered that a protein shake helps me out in the mornings. I also noticed that I can eat all the fruits & veggies (disclosure: I limit starchy ones) that I could possibly want and still stay within my limits. I love carbs and don't demonize them, but I have a hard time controlling myself around highly processed carbs (for me - bread & pasta) and having too much of those foods will single-handedly throw me into a tailspin if I'm not careful.
  • quietair
    quietair Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I took hungry to mean two potential things, either you're hungry consistently, or you aren't feeling full after meals. If it's the former, protein definitely helps that. If you aren't feeling full enough at meal time, there's a number of things you can do. Adding veggies with fiber to your meal, drinking more water, etc., can help that too. If this is what you meant, hopefully this helps you. Your mileage will vary, of course, but as I lose weight it gets easier and easier to not overeat and my hunger has lessened. If you want to see a diary with portion control of regular foods, not ones stereotyped as "diet" foods, add me and you can review my diary for a few ideas. Good luck to you!!

(edit: redundancy)