Should I change to 2 pounds a week?

SouthernBell86
SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone!

I have been on MFP for about two months now and I'm loving it! I've lost 13 pounds which is right at the 1.5 pounds a week plan I've been following. I would like some opinions on whether I should amp this up to two pounds a week.

Here's what I'm thinking. I currently weigh 218 pounds (So much better than 231!!!) and I'm 5'6. I still have a lot of weight to lose. I kind of think that at my current body weight I could probably handle the 2 pounds a week for a while. I didn't want to start with anything too drastic, and I've handled the 1.5 pounds a week pretty well.

I was just thinking that maybe I should push it to two pounds a week until I get out of the obese category, and then change it back to 1.5 when I'm in the overweight category. I know this isn't a race, and I am in it for the long haul, but on the other hand I would really like to not be obese by my 25th birthday (Feb 8th). If I lost two pounds a week from now until then I would make it!

Anyway, I am totally open to your opinions, wisdom and advice.

Thank you!

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Go for it! As long as you are consuming enough calories to keep you satisfied and free from starvation mode then I say what do you have to lose? The weight that's what!!! :)
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    I don't see anything wrong with 2 lbs a week. None. Zero. Zip. And you seem to have the right attitude about it. Mine is projected at 3.1 lbs per week. I'm not having any ill side effects from it. But then I had 143 lbs to lose back on June 30th.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Hi everyone!

I have been on MFP for about two months now and I'm loving it! I've lost 13 pounds which is right at the 1.5 pounds a week plan I've been following. I would like some opinions on whether I should amp this up to two pounds a week.

Here's what I'm thinking. I currently weigh 218 pounds (So much better than 231!!!) and I'm 5'6. I still have a lot of weight to lose. I kind of think that at my current body weight I could probably handle the 2 pounds a week for a while. I didn't want to start with anything too drastic, and I've handled the 1.5 pounds a week pretty well.

I was just thinking that maybe I should push it to two pounds a week until I get out of the obese category, and then change it back to 1.5 when I'm in the overweight category. I know this isn't a race, and I am in it for the long haul, but on the other hand I would really like to not be obese by my 25th birthday (Feb 8th). If I lost two pounds a week from now until then I would make it!

Anyway, I am totally open to your opinions, wisdom and advice.

Thank you!

I think you need to do whatever works best for you. If you can handle the 2 pounds per week, then go for it. If, however, you don't make the 2 lbs each week, what impact will that have on your emotional well being? I've noticed that some have difficulty if the scale doesn't move after a certain length of time. Are you a person that will become despondent and unmotivated if the scale gets "stuck?" If you are a person that needs to see the movement on the scale to stay motivated and engaged in the work, then I don't recommend you change the goal as you are seeing success and doing well. It is YOUR journey - and you get to CHOOSE how much/how quickly you lose weight and how long it takes you to reach your goals.

Blessings as you move forward on your journey to a healthier you.

Vickie
  • Congrats on your loss so far!
    Be mindful that your body needs a certain amount of calories to just function, and if it is too deficient you can actually make your loss counterintuitive. That figure is calculated by current weight, activity, etc. (http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/blcalintake.htm)

Most physicians and trainers I know recommend no more than 1.5 especially if you have increased in activity level which requires more caloric input. However to answer your question, this article may help
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001940.htm.

Hope for your continued success!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    If you can handle eating 250 cals less per day, then why not? Or burn 250 cals more exerising? it's not a busting lot now your'e used to it :wink:

Gor for it!! :bigsmile:
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Go for it! I personally can't do the 2 lb/wk calorie-wise, or else I stop losing, but I think you should at least give it a chance!
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    You could just start trying to end your day with a green 250 still spare. That way if you don't manage it you won't get despondent and if you do manage it you'll start to see bonus weight coming off at the scales.
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    I think you can probably handle it. I myself have my goal at 2lbs a week, but some weeks I don't always make the 2lb loss. The goal is to not let it get to you if some weeks you don't make it. Remember though, a loss is a loss is a loss. As long as the scale is moving in a downward direction there shouldn't be too much to get upset about!

Good luck!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    You could just start trying to end your day with a green 250 still spare. That way if you don't manage it you won't get despondent and if you do manage it you'll start to see bonus weight coming off at the scales.

i like this idea....very thought provoking....i just might try this...

good luck with your decision...i struggled with it for awhile too...be at 2lbs a week and eat all exercise calories, be at 1lb a week and leave some exercise calories...i have never set myself at 1 1/2 lbs a week....i do agree though if your goal is 2 and you lose only 1 or 1.25 you might lose your mojo, i know i would.....it never hurts to try new things in this journey, cuase you just dont know what will work for you until you try....
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Wow! Thanks everyone for all the input!

I definitely understand about your body needing enough calories to just function, and I've been really good about eating my exercise calories as much as possible.

As far as being disappointed in myself if I don't lose the two pounds each week? Well, thus far even though my goal has been 1.5 pounds a week, and my total weight loss does equal 1.5 pounds a week, so far I have never actually lost exactly 1.5. Sometimes it's more sometimes its less, but it has averaged out to be that.

Really so far I have just been thrilled with every ounce that has come off! I went through a three week plateau and managed to keep things together and not give up. So I think I have developed some mental fortitude in all this.

I think I'll try this for a while and see how it goes. If it turns out to be too few calories for me I'll bring it back to 1.5. I like the idea of leaving everything the way it is and just leaving a green 250, but I don't think that would work for me. Part of the reason I need MFP is to keep everything simple and straight forward. I am sure though that this would definitely work for many people experimenting with a different weight loss level.

Okay, well I'm going to go change my goals, and then hit the gym!!

Have a great day!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member

Good idea! If you are more motivated by having a smaller number of calories allowed, then up your goal to 2 lbs. Otherwise, I think it's a great idea to just reduce your calories a bit so you have some left over at the end of the day. That's what I've been doing and it's working really well so far!
This discussion has been closed.