Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated Fat

Options
2»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I also avoid vegetable oils such as canola but do use some seed and nut oils in moderation eg flax seed oil, macadamia oil, peanut oil, avocado oil, olive oil and coconut oil and I eat lots of grass fed butter, red meat with the fat on, roast chicken with the skin on, bacon, pork, eggs, full cream dairy etc etc.

I don't have any problems with my cholesterol, blood sugars or weight so I will keep doing what I'm doing.

Olive oil, hemp oil, and peanut oil. If you have those three in your cabinet, you have no need for any other oil! :drinker:
  • johnsavill144
    Options
    I have read many of the posts. I have worked in government public health for decades. I have only been using MFP on mobile for the last week and am now refining my goals. From my updated research, my automated goal for 30% total fat is correct if you wish to follow USA or Australian Heart foundation or Health gov guidelines.
    However, the MFP should NOT automatically make poly unsat and mono unsat each zero.
    I suggest the team set the total to 30% and saturated should be set to 6% ( in view of guidelines) and trans to zero and the remainder 24% be split between poly and mono unsaturated. I ask why have MFP technical advisors left these to zero in face of over whelming advice and recommendations on this forum. Why is it so?
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. It's a good read! I'm putting a bit of it here that sums it up well.

What really matters is the type of fat and the total calories in the diet. (7-15)
    •Bad fats, meaning trans and saturated fats, increase the risk for certain diseases.
    •Good fats, meaning monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, do just the opposite. They are good for the heart and most other parts of the body.

Came across this article tonight, giving it a good read myself. Seems legit:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

I would further my research if I were you................There is nothing wrong with saturated fat nor cholesterol.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

http://coconutoil.com/mary_enig/ The article about Diet and Disease, Not what you think is a great article.

I don't trust the likes of The AMA, ADA, <<<None of the alphabet associations that are out for corporate profit.

But you trust some foreign doctor trying to sell books on his cheesy looking website? In any case, the quoted article is from Harvard University's School of Public Health, not from the AMA or the like.
  • ScottAckland
    ScottAckland Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some great info here from people who truly know their stuff & unfortunately some very bad info that I can't even guess where people found their sources. Lesson of the day, look for information that sites sources or don't trust it as anything more than someone misinformed opinion. Learn to read research studies & educate yourself.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You got mostly good info so far, but please do not believe for one second that saturated fat is bad for you. Anyone who believes that nonsense in 2015 is severely misinformed and would be wise to do more research.

The only fat you should completely limit are industrial trans fats, as determined by science and research.