ATKINS DIET

Options

Replies

• gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm trying low carb because I haven't found the moderation diet to be sustainable for me. I've been doing deficit diets by cutting calories for 10 years...and it doesn't stick for me. Eventually I go back into the way I've always ate and gain it all back plus more. 'The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting different results'....so I'm trying something different.

I've been doing low carb since the end of February. I still track my calories, still stay under my calorie goal. I just have an easier time staying under my calorie goals this way. I'm not craving the sugar and the carbs anymore. I found out that I like some vegetables...before I was too busy stuffing my face with bread to even look at a vegetable.

I don't think I'm necessarily follow the 'Atkins' diet...if I am, I skipped the induction phase. I keep it to about 40 - 50 grams a day. I did a moderation diet in January...I didn't lose anymore on the Atkins diet than I did on the moderation diet, but it was easier for me to do.

Is it sustainable? I don't know...but neither was eating in moderation, so we'll see.

As for the low carb haters, I'm going to ignore them, state my opinion, and go on...I've seen some nasty fights on here between the groups. It's working for me, and that's all I care about.

(and 'diet' is just an easy word to use to explain what you're doing...I plan on this being a lifestyle change, but diet is easier to type...and 'Atkins lifestyle change' just doesn't sound right)

(Someone said that Robert Atkins died of heart disease...that's a myth, he slipped on the ice and died of a head injury. He did have a heart attack at the age of 71...the doctors said that it was not because of his diet. Could be a cover up of course. I could just as easily have a heart attack because I'm overweight so I'll take my chances)
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Then stop looking for diets...they are temporary eating for temporary weight loss and when you stop you gain the weight back.

Eat at a reasonable calorie deficet and you will lose weight.

I have been eating 'clean' since december, having no more than 1500 calories per day and been going to the gym 3-4 times a week (at least 35min cardio and 30 min weights) since 15th january so far I've lost 7 KG. That's not very rewarding. I realise that I should be happy with what I've lost so far but I'm tired of putting in so much effort and not seeing the results.

I understand your frustration. I cut alcohol (and I was drinking quite heavily!), restaurant food, and most carbs out of my diet for about a month earlier this year. I was grumpy, tired, hungry, and since both me and my SO did it at the same time the sex was terrible. It affected everything...and yet I didn't lose a pound. So I went extreme for a few weeks, 1200 calories a day, continued to work out...lost 1 lb. I wanted so badly to see fast results that I must have sabotaged myself.

Since I switched to just watching my carbs, I aim for 150g a day (which is low compared to a standard American diet at least - very little bread or pasta, most of my carbs come from apples and beans) and I make smarter choices with my 1600 calories a day...lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks. You have to find what works for your body. If that is Atkins, then have at it. But pay attention to your body and change what you're doing if it isn't working.
  • florenciagysbertha
    florenciagysbertha Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Then stop looking for diets...they are temporary eating for temporary weight loss and when you stop you gain the weight back.

I have been eating 'clean' since december, having no more than 1500 calories per day and been going to the gym 3-4 times a week (at least 35min cardio and 30 min weights) since 15th january so far I've lost 7 KG. That's not very rewarding. I realise that I should be happy with what I've lost so far but I'm tired of putting in so much effort and not seeing the results.

7 kilograms; that's like 16 lbs. What do you mean no results? That's great! Look, it's not going to come off in buckets. You have to put a lot of effort into it. December is almost 4 months ago; you've lost 16 lbs, you are on the right track.

This isn't something you do for a few months and then stop. If you want STAY fit you have to KEEP working, forever! FOREVER. The rest of your life. When you start to realize that and accept that and take it seriously, you will be patient, keep doing what your are doing and let the magic happen in it's own pace, not the pace YOU want it to happen.

I mean, jeez, for example, you can lost a ton of weight vomiting, but do you want to do that? You can lose a ton of weight from surgery, but do you want to do that?

Gah, why do I bother......

First of all I never said that I see this as 'a quick fix' I've always been overweight but I was very athletic, played sports all my life so I managed to maintain a nice posture. Since the past 2 years I've gained so much and it doesn't seem like its going down. I'm aiming to be healthy primarily, but it will keep me motivated if I lose more weight at least the first few months.
    It's kind of disappointing to see how some people just easily assume things when they know nothing about me ! I take my weight loss and health very seriously ! I'm in my second year of uni, I'm spending more time on going to the gym, cooking healthy meals than anything else ! and it's very frustrating if I'm spending so much time and effort and it's not going as how I would have liked.

I appreciate all comments and tips etc. But if you haven't got anything positive to say or something that's actually useful and I can work with instead of having a perception of some sort and criticizing me than just dont bother commenting.

Thanks
  • meg306
    meg306 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, low carb is the only way I have ever been able to lose any weight. I started on Atkins, but I modified it somewhat for myself. I need to lose weight, but if you don't need to lose weight, you can increase the daily carb intake. My goal is to stay under 30 carbs per day for now. I stick to green veggies, and blueberries or strawberries for fruits. I eat almonds and nuts, meats, eggs, butter, olive oil, avocados, coconut milk, almond milk, half and half for coffee, etc. I've not experienced terrible headaches. Yes, you do have a couple of days where you will have cravings for sweets or carbs. I find that if I remove temptations, it helps. The cravings subside. It can be quite boring, so I recommend searching for recipes. For me this is more of a lifestyle change, instead of a diet. Excessive carbs make me gain weight, give me low energy, make me hungrier, and feel bad in general. I am also gluten intolerant. So, it's better that I stay away from breads, and pasta anyway. Drink LOTS of water. Hope this helps.

I just wanted to add, that it is different for everyone. A person's metabolism will play a major role in fitness, of course. Some may be able to eat 100-200 carbs per day and lose weight. While others, like me, would only gain weight with that amount. I don't drink sodas, or alcohol. I do drink coffee, herbal teas, and lots of water. That's my own personal preference. You have to find what works for you and your body and go with it. Good luck!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

7 kilograms; that's like 16 lbs. What do you mean no results? That's great! Look, it's not going to come off in buckets. You have to put a lot of effort into it. December is almost 4 months ago; you've lost 16 lbs, you are on the right track.

This isn't something you do for a few months and then stop. If you want STAY fit you have to KEEP working, forever! FOREVER. The rest of your life. When you start to realize that and accept that and take it seriously, you will be patient, keep doing what your are doing and let the magic happen in it's own pace, not the pace YOU want it to happen.

I mean, jeez, for example, you can lost a ton of weight vomiting, but do you want to do that? You can lose a ton of weight from surgery, but do you want to do that?

Gah, why do I bother......

First of all I never said that I see this as 'a quick fix' I've always been overweight but I was very athletic, played sports all my life so I managed to maintain a nice posture. Since the past 2 years I've gained so much and it doesn't seem like its going down. I'm aiming to be healthy primarily, but it will keep me motivated if I lose more weight at least the first few months.
    It's kind of disappointing to see how some people just easily assume things when they know nothing about me ! I take my weight loss and health very seriously ! I'm in my second year of uni, I'm spending more time on going to the gym, cooking healthy meals than anything else ! and it's very frustrating if I'm spending so much time and effort and it's not going as how I would have liked.

I appreciate all comments and tips etc. But if you haven't got anything positive to say or something that's actually useful and I can work with instead of having a perception of some sort and criticizing me than just dont bother commenting.

Thanks

Yeah, but it IS working. You are losing. Giving up is not going to help either. So, you know what to do, according to what you just wrote. That's great.

Then why are you asking about Atkins? See, THAT's where the question lies.

Gah!
  • florenciagysbertha
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I cut alcohol (and I was drinking quite heavily!), restaurant food, and most carbs out of my diet for about a month earlier this year. I was grumpy, tired, hungry, and since both me and my SO did it at the same time the sex was terrible. It affected everything...and yet I didn't lose a pound. So I went extreme for a few weeks, 1200 calories a day, continued to work out...lost 1 lb. I wanted so badly to see fast results that I must have sabotaged myself.

Since I switched to just watching my carbs, I aim for 150g a day (which is low compared to a standard American diet at least - very little bread or pasta, most of my carbs come from apples and beans) and I make smarter choices with my 1600 calories a day...lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks. You have to find what works for your body. If that is Atkins, then have at it. But pay attention to your body and change what you're doing if it isn't working.

Thanks lol finally someone that understands, The thing is I hear quite often people saying they've got bad eating habits like drinking alcohol or having lots of sweets etc. but I dont do any of that .. I dont drink, i don't fry my food, i rarely have sweets, dont eat pork or red meat (not for religious reasons but just because I prefer chicken). I do have an occasional take away once in 2 weeks but I try not to have a large meal if I do. I have the myfitnesspal app on my ipad and I keep track of everything I eat so so it's not like I'm a secret eater lol. And obviously I work out allot, the gym has become my second home basically. So that's why it's so frustrating to me.
  • florenciagysbertha
    Options

Yeah, but it IS working. You are losing. Giving up is not going to help either. So, you know what to do, according to what you just wrote. That's great.

Then why are you asking about Atkins? See, THAT's where the question lies.

Gah!

I'm asking about Atkins because I've heard it gives great results. And I was wondering what people's opinion about it was.

GAH!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sounds like the OP is hangry....
  • florenciagysbertha
    Options
    Yes, low carb is the only way I have ever been able to lose any weight. I started on Atkins, but I modified it somewhat for myself. I need to lose weight, but if you don't need to lose weight, you can increase the daily carb intake. My goal is to stay under 30 carbs per day for now. I stick to green veggies, and blueberries or strawberries for fruits. I eat almonds and nuts, meats, eggs, butter, olive oil, avocados, coconut milk, almond milk, half and half for coffee, etc. I've not experienced terrible headaches. Yes, you do have a couple of days where you will have cravings for sweets or carbs. I find that if I remove temptations, it helps. The cravings subside. It can be quite boring, so I recommend searching for recipes. For me this is more of a lifestyle change, instead of a diet. Excessive carbs make me gain weight, give me low energy, make me hungrier, and feel bad in general. I am also gluten intolerant. So, it's better that I stay away from breads, and pasta anyway. Drink LOTS of water. Hope this helps.

I just wanted to add, that it is different for everyone. A person's metabolism will play a major role in fitness, of course. Some may be able to eat 100-200 carbs per day and lose weight. While others, like me, would only gain weight with that amount. I don't drink sodas, or alcohol. I do drink coffee, herbal teas, and lots of water. That's my own personal preference. You have to find what works for you and your body and go with it. Good luck!

Thanks dear :) I will do a bit more research. I want to give atkins a try for a week or maybe a bit longer and see how my body reacts to it. I eat lootts of spicy food (to the point that it makes me sweat when I'm eating lol) and I've been told that speeds op the metabolism .. but I've made an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow and see if they can work out why my I've been having trouble with my weight. All the best !
  • kimmywill1971
    kimmywill1971 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have done Atkins and South Beach. Both work, but I found South Beach easier to stick to because you have more food alternatives.
  • florenciagysbertha
    Options
    sounds like the OP is hangry....

lol no .. I just don't find rudeness necessary :)
    I'm seriously looking for help and advise.. that's why I've decided to join these forums
    So it's kind of upsetting if people are judging me for no reason and don't take their time to actually support me and point me to the right direction
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Could not thing of many things less appealing without being silly.
  • cassanova792
    Options
    Dieting is hard enough, so why make it harder on yourself by following diets that restrict what you can eat? These diets are nothing more than extreme food guidelines that put you in a caloric deficit. If you're on the ATKINS or any Keto diet the basic principle of losing weight and thermodynamics still applies! You need to be at a caloric deficit. Giving up the majority of a large food group is unnecessary for weight loss, but hey do what you think will help you succeed. Meanwhile, I will keep eating my ice-cream, pancakes, rice, pastas, drinking my alcohol while still getting lean as ever.
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Dieting is hard enough, so why make it harder on yourself by following diets that restrict what you can eat? These diets are nothing more than extreme food guidelines that put you in a caloric deficit. If you're on the ATKINS or any Keto diet the basic principle of losing weight and thermodynamics still applies! You need to be at a caloric deficit. Giving up the majority of a large food group is unnecessary for weight loss, but hey do what you think will help you succeed. Meanwhile, I will keep eating my ice-cream, pancakes, rice, pastas, drinking my alcohol while still getting lean as ever.

I don't like rice at all, and pasta is not high on my list of favorite foods either. Wine is low carb...and I like that better than any of the other alcohols anyway. Breyer's Smart Carbs ice cream is pretty good...usually make some kind of milk shake out of them if I just have to have ice cream, actually don't do that very often. I make really good vegan banana pancakes that are at 14 grams a serving with Ihop or Maple Groves sugar free syrup and coconut butter (I'd suggest finding the Maple Groves syrup...it's better than Ihop's sugar free.)

So I don't think I'm missing anything. And if I do, occasionally I raise my carbs a bit. Tonight we're going to McAlister's Deli to celebrate something so I'm going to go up to 80 carbs for today instead of my usual 45....a glass of sweet tea, half of a French Dip, and half size garden salad. 80 carbs is still fairly low carb.

So I'm good with this...
  • florenciagysbertha
    Options

I probably don't feel like I will be missing out on much since I dont eat ice cream at all, last time i had pancakes were 5 years ago and I'm not really a fan of pasta and I dont drink alcohol. I love rice but I would normally not have more than 2 cups per day
  • cassanova792
    Options

I probably don't feel like I will be missing out on much since I dont eat ice cream at all, last time i had pancakes were 5 years ago and I'm not really a fan of pasta and I dont drink alcohol. I love rice but I would normally not have more than 2 cups per day

As long as you can see yourself eating low carb as a lifestyle (but why?) then do it. My whole point is that there is no reason why carbs should be treated as the enemy - they're good for you. And limiting your intake will not change the fact that you will still need to hit a caloric deficit to see weight loss. If you're hitting the same calories and losing weight as you are now with carbs, you will lose the same amount of weight at the same rate, if you were on Atkins. The only downfall now is that you are far more restricted and have to be far more conscious on your food choices.
  • auntiesocial78
    auntiesocial78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started on Atkins in June of 2006, lost 50 pounds, and pretty much stayed on some form of low carb til 2011, when my life fell apart and I drank ALL the beer and ate ALL the Taco Bell. So I've gained some (but not all of it) weight back --- beer and Taco Bell will do that to you. :)

Anyway, it's NOT for everyone, but it works best for me. I tried last year (unsuccessfully) to do Weight Watchers, but I was hungry literally ALL the time. I'm not hungry on low-carb, although your food choices are much more limited than on Weight Watchers. Personally, I find low carb easier because I know exactly what to eat, whereas with Weight Watchers I was constantly calculating in addition to being hungry.

I'm doing LCHF now (not Atkins, although LCHF is similar in some ways to Atkins Induction with regards to how many carbs you can eat).

I have PCOS and metabolic syndrome, and low carb is the easiest and most effective way for me to lose weight. If you have no insulin resistance, PCOS, metabolic syndrome, etc., it may not work as well for you and you may not enjoy the limitations of your food choices.
  • florenciagysbertha
    Options

As long as you can see yourself eating low carb as a lifestyle (but why?) then do it. My whole point is that there is no reason why carbs should be treated as the enemy - they're good for you. And limiting your intake will not change the fact that you will still need to hit a caloric deficit to see weight loss. If you're hitting the same calories and losing weight as you are now with carbs, you will lose the same amount of weight at the same rate, if you were on Atkins. The only downfall now is that you are far more restricted and have to be far more conscious on your food choices.

Oke fair enough , thats a good point. I've got an appointment with my doctor tomorrow anyway so i will look into it properly and hopefully i will find something that works for me
  • auntiesocial78
    auntiesocial78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh, and also, if you "do Atkins," stay away from the junky processed Atkins products. They may be low in carbs, but they are NOT healthy, and tend to stall my weight loss. :)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Atkins will cause weight loss because it mostly eliminate carbs for the first two weeks then gradually add a little every week until you have reached your weight goal. However, your contniued success is highly dependent on you buying their products long term. The downside of programs like that is it doesn't teach you the science behind healthy weight loss and maintenance. This is the reason when many people stop the program the weight come back with a vengence.

Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE and tracked all of your activities?

This is good reading:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants