New here and New to WW

Options
natyfit
natyfit Posts: 3 Member
Hello. I am new to My Fitness Pal and to WW PointPlus. Would like to know if anyone else is doing WW and if you can track your points sonewhere on this site or where do you go to do that. Also would like ti find accountability friends so I can push myself and do the same for others :-)
Im 49 and finally taking the initiative to take care of myself and turning a new leaf on my personal and professional life.
Any tips on how to navigate thru this site or where to start woukd really help me out

Thank you for reading.
Hugs,

Natyfit

Replies

• LollyChester
    Options
    Not a WW follower, but wanted to welcome you and let you know to add me as a friend if you want!! :)
  • jesoda
    jesoda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just cancelled my WW membership effective tomorrow. I haven't been on this site that long but I would think the answer is no as a place to count points. Points is WW, its not calories.

I love WW but I found I was paying to track my food and exercise and this site does that for free.

good luck!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.
  • jasminemars01
    Options
    Hi and welcome,
    I am curious to know what made you turn a corner and start focusing on yourself.
    Thanks,
    Jasmine
  • MsTrueBlue
    MsTrueBlue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new here also and Im currently a WW member.... I was hoping that I could use both programs but now sure if it will work because they are totally different..... I love WW but is willing to give MFP a try, plus its free...
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new here also and Im currently a WW member.... I was hoping that I could use both programs but now sure if it will work because they are totally different..... I love WW but is willing to give MFP a try, plus its free...

Is there any reason you can't use one program to determine what and how much to eat and the other just for informational purposes, to give you a different slant on what you're doing? I did that with the South Beach diet and MFP for a while - following SB pretty much to the letter and then logging my meals here after the fact, just to keep track of how many calories I was consuming. After a while I decided I'd had enough low carbing (I was just about to the point where I would have killed for a bagel) and switched over to MFP as my primary program. I was relatively easy, as I already had a good idea of how many calories I could eat and still lose, and was already in the habit of weighing out and recording everything. I just changed my criteria for determining what to eat.

edited to fix typo
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.

THIS. Read this post carefully, there's a wealth of great info here.

I used to do WW, but back in 2009, so whatever the program was back then. I thought it was a great place to start, sort of like healthy eating with training wheels. I only paid attention to Points, which involve calories, fat and fiber. If you find a great Meeting Leader, WW can be really worth it. I lost over 50 lbs. and kept it off for quite a while. (I gained it back when I moved, changed jobs, and had next to no money.)

Anyway, welcome!!:flowerforyou: Add me as a friend, if you'd like! :wink:
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

so. much. this.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Here is a great blog for newcomers to this site. It should answer most questions you have.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin
  • SarahAnna87
    SarahAnna87 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi: I do both WW and MFP. I like WW for the accountability since I go to meetings. I find MFP a lot better for finding support groups. Not everyone is like me, and in fact no one at my weight watchers meeting has a similar lifestyle to me.

I track my food on here, but I just plug in what I eat. I don't care if I am over or under calories, I care if I am over or under on Points.

If you are doing WW online, I would suggest just doing MFP. It is free and the support groups and forums are ten times better. If you are doing meetings you will have to make your own choice on that one. I like doing both as I stated.

Best of luck!
  • LeslieN65
    LeslieN65 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

[/quote

Brilliant and to the point!!