I'm not losing any weight.

Options
I've been stuck at 185 lbs for like 2 to 3 weeks now. I'm walking 2 miles 3x a day if I don't go to the gym. Help?

Replies

• fernreynolds
    fernreynolds Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am the same, I have been trying to be good and also exercising - my scales have not moved in 2 weeks so trying to log eveything that I do now to get help from on here. x
  • petefromguelph
    petefromguelph Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    so besides the usual "are you logging EVERYTHING and WEIGHING everything accurately" question... has anything else changed? Just looked at your diary for today. So things like the Kashi. The serving size is in number of pieces 28 pieces = 55g. Do you actually weigh the pieces? Like weigh out the 55g? Only reason I ask is because sometimes the number of pieces is way more than the weight. Do you have a food scale at all? Amazing investment if you don't... these darn food companies like to lie to us about weights vs portion size! arrgh frustrating but all the little things definitely add up.
  • skinniestminniest
    Options
    It doesn't look like you're weighing your food, judging by your diary. If you haven't already, invest in a food scale. They're only $10-$25. Weigh all your solids and measure all your liquids.

It might sound tedious. You may think you're eating in deficit. But I promise if you buy a food scale, actually weigh everything out, you will find it much easier to be confident in your logging and you'll see your weight change.

I was stuck at a 'plateau' for about 2 months... just eating healthy and estimating my calories.

I bought a food scale, actually logged REAL calories, and I lost 2 pounds that week. Clearly I was underestimating all my food and eating far more than I thought - most likely at maintenance.

A food scale is the best thing you can do for yourself!!
  • princessnuriko
    princessnuriko Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Some days you don't log anything at all. Also, you probably want to eat more protein and less processed foods.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    With only 10 lb. to go (congratulations!), set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and be patient. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Walking doesnt equal weight loss.....
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Actually, walking does help with weightloss. I have lost weight, walking 3 miles a day. Any bit of cardio exercise will help as long as you get your heart rate up. Drink lots of water.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Actually, walking does help with weightloss. I have lost weight, walking 3 miles a day. Any bit of cardio exercise will help as long as you get your heart rate up. Drink lots of water.

That's not the same thing. Just because one walks it does not mean that you will automatically lose weight. (so there :-p)
  • princessnuriko
    princessnuriko Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Still gotta watch what you eat. You can work out (or walk) all day long, but if you're not watching what you eat and taking your lifestyle change seriously, you won't lose weight. I think we all can attest to that.

That's not the same thing. Just because one walks it does not mean that you will automatically lose weight. (so there :-p)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Walking 2 miles burns what... 150 calories? Very easy to overeat more than that.
  • stormyxpony
    stormyxpony Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I owe mom $140.00 and that's not inculdeing the $600.00 a month for my horse (she's for sale by the way). Sooo a food scale is out for right now. I owe for my half of the cell phone bill,Horse,Groceries,Internet.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I owe mom $140.00 and that's not inculdeing the $600.00 a month for my horse (she's for sale by the way). Sooo a food scale is out for right now. I owe for my half of the cell phone bill,Horse,Groceries,Internet.

Well if you're not willing to throw down $15 - $20 to buy a scale at least log consistently... I saw a lot of blank days, days that looked incomplete, etc... You can walk all day but if you're not eating right it won't matter.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Well if you're not willing to throw down $15 - $20 to buy a scale at least log consistently... I saw a lot of blank days, days that looked incomplete, etc... You can walk all day but if you're not eating right it won't matter.
    ^^^This.

Your sloppy logging is keeping you from losing weight. If you want to lose, you need to step up your game. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Every thing.

You can compensate a bit by only eating back half your exercise calories, but you still need to get your logging under control. Right now, you have no idea how many calories you're eating.

Edited to add read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hi, I looked at your diary and you are eating to many pre- prepared & processed foods, try eliminating some of those muffins, American cheese , soups with homemade items with fresh ingredient's, I know it takes more time, but you will have a lot less sodium, fat, carbs, which , to much of will screw up any future weight loss.. check out other peoples diary's that are fit and copy what they are doing to some degree.. goodluck:flowerforyou:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Still gotta watch what you eat. You can work out (or walk) all day long, but if you're not watching what you eat and taking your lifestyle change seriously, you won't lose weight. I think we all can attest to that.

QFT. In 2012, I bicycled 2500 miles and gained 10 lb. I lost 45 lb. in 2013 not by bicycling 3500 miles but by counting calories. Our bodies are very good at making us hungry if we exercise.

Exercise makes you fitter (even walking), and lets you eat more food at the same deficit, but you do have to keep counting. One study (Mozaffarian et al in the NEJM a couple years ago) found that people who increased the amount of exercise they did tended to lose weight, but that those who exercised the same amount as before did not, even if some were exercising an hour a week and others were exercising an hour a day. It seems that we take a little time for our bodies to catch up to the increased amount of exercise.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    so besides the usual "are you logging EVERYTHING and WEIGHING everything accurately" question... has anything else changed? Just looked at your diary for today. So things like the Kashi. The serving size is in number of pieces 28 pieces = 55g. Do you actually weigh the pieces? Like weigh out the 55g? Only reason I ask is because sometimes the number of pieces is way more than the weight. Do you have a food scale at all? Amazing investment if you don't... these darn food companies like to lie to us about weights vs portion size! arrgh frustrating but all the little things definitely add up.

That is often true, but I happily found out recently that if I weighed my mixed nuts instead of counting them, I could eat almost twice as many. :) So it can go both ways!
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options

This is so true. I had tortilla chips a few weeks ago that said a serving was 1 oz (about 15 pieces). I was going by that, counting them out, then one day I decided to see if it was accurate for 1 oz, and it wasn't. 1 oz was 9 pieces.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

wrong..calorie deficit is what causes weight loss..you can eat less and not walk and you will lose weight..conversely, you can walk more and eat more and you will gain weight..

OP - if you are not losing then you are not in a calorie deficit..

Like others have said get a food scale and weigh/measure/log everything that goes into your body ...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Here is the food scale I bought. $6.95 plus free shipping. No excuses! :smile:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5Kg-x-1g-Digital-Kitchen-Scale-Diet-Food-Compact-Kitchen-Scale-10lb-x-0-04oz-/230836197929?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item35bee8da29
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what are you using to measure calorie burns…you diet says you get 420 calories from exercise some days?