Mashed Cauliflower substitute- delicious!

Options
fivethreeone
fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
So my family loves this paleo lifestyle-friendly mashed cauliflower with garlic recipe, but after a while the cauliflower got kind of expensive and boring, so I wanted to try something else, something innovative and outside the box. After a few false starts, I came up with the answer!

Just exchange the large head of cauliflower with 4-6 POTATOES! I can’t believe I never thought of subbing in potatoes for this before, but I’m so glad I did!

Easy Mashed Cauliflower with Garlic (substituting POTATOES) 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets (sub 4-6 POTATOES, depending on tuberosity) 1/4 cup almond milk 1 tbsp ghee Head of garlic Fresh chives, chopped Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel away the outer layers of the garlic bulb, then cut off the very top of the head of garlic to expose the individual garlic cloves. Place in aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil, then seal the foil around the garlic. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the cloves are soft. Allow garlic to cool, then squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of the skin.

2. Meanwhile, place a couple inches of water in a large pot. Once water is boiling, place steamer insert and then POTATOES into the pot and cover. Steam for 12-14 minutes, until completely tender. Drain and return POTATOES to pot.

3. Add roasted garlic, milk, ghee, and salt to the POTATOES. Using an immersion blender or food processor, combine ingredients until smooth. Top with chives and freshly ground pepper.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a concept! Never thought of that before.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options
    WHAT?

Potatoes? *gasps*

Mind. Blown.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you this but garlic isn't Paleo....awkward....

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Wow what a discovery!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Genius! My family hates cauliflower. I bet I can get them to eat this with potatoes...
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you this but garlic isn't Paleo....awkward....

What? How can this be? Is it because they are "separated from the source"?

/rage quit due to disappointment.............
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    GENIUS.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    WHAT?!?! You can sub in some real TATERZ?

Next, you're gonna tell me...
    unicorns_zps7e27182d.jpg
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    AAAAA! It's the time of year for the cauliflower posts again!

th?id=HN.608010276479633543&pid=15.1
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Shock!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Excellent - I need to make this for supper