GoRuck Challenge

Options
So, the website seems deliberately a little vague. Can anyone that has done this level GoRuck fill me in on exactly what I've signed myself up for?

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    There's a team of 30. And it says to expect to travel 20 miles in 10 or so hours, with a weighted pack. No worries there. I just have no idea what else is done!
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    I do know five of the other team members, though not the leader. None of the people I know have done one of these, but all are former military except me. This one is the Challenge level, I think the GoRuck heavy is the longer one.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's 24 hours of drudgery. You run, you lift things, you have to solve problems as a group, like how to move a 600lb log across town with only your team. You have to crawl, swim, and whatever else they ask you to do. It simple. It's vague because it's whatever they decide to tell you to do at the time, for 24 hours. Have you been in the military? It's similar to Green Beret training, only not quite as intense. They aren't going to send you out in a forest in complete darkness and not allow you to use a flashlight.

this sounds about right.
    Do you know your team members, is there a group leader?

Hell someone will have to get this organized or your group is going to be in a tough spot.

Hopefully you'll hear from someone soon.

sort of- you can join on your own- or join with other people- some people go alone- you become a cohesive unit or you really suffer.
    They assign different group leaders for different obstacles- often time there is a wounded person you will have to carry as one of the tasks.
    I wonder if they changed it. It used to be 24 hours. 10 hours sounds easy.
    they have gorucks- and go ruck lights I guess. (not joking- i think that's what they are actually called)
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    Yep, very similar to any military "final test"...kinda like The Crucible-lite. I found it somewhat "meh" when I did a GoRuck. This is not trying to sound high-and-mighty at all, but it seemed like the civilian folks got a lot more kicks from it than those of use that were veterans/active duty.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Yep, very similar to any military "final test"...kinda like The Crucible-lite. I found it somewhat "meh" when I did a GoRuck. This is not trying to sound high-and-mighty at all, but it seemed like the civilian folks got a lot more kicks from it than those of use that were veterans/active duty.

it makes me chuckle.

I didn't serve- but I did play these fun games at a Military college... and it makes me chuckle a little bit- did it- played the games- learned a lot-got the t shirt (joking) but it's not something I'm going to go spend my money on really. I have other ways I'd like to improve my life than trying to prove how tough I can be in an urban environment playing war games... says me-who does absolutely zero warring other than key board commando at work smashing down emails on people.

shrug- whatever- if it gives people a sense of accomplishment and something to train for- have at it. no skin off my nose. have at it- go forth and suffer!!! LOL
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    I didn't serve- but I did play these fun games at a Military college... and it makes me chuckle a little bit- did it- played the games- learned a lot-got the t shirt (joking) but it's not something I'm going to go spend my money on really. I have other ways I'd like to improve my life than trying to prove how tough I can be in an urban environment playing war games... says me-who does absolutely zero warring other than key board commando at work smashing down emails on people.

shrug- whatever- if it gives people a sense of accomplishment and something to train for- have at it. no skin off my nose. have at it- go forth and suffer!!! LOL

This one's an invite-only for a fundraiser, so I'm more inclined to spend money. But I also like pushing myself beyond my comfort zone. I've done all the Spartan races, road races, etc. Never done anything like this, so want to give it a try.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options

This one's an invite-only for a fundraiser, so I'm more inclined to spend money. But I also like pushing myself beyond my comfort zone. I've done all the Spartan races, road races, etc. Never done anything like this, so want to give it a try.

You'll be fine with all your experience in Spartan/Mud races. It's really more of a "moving challenge" type of event, and not so much a "race". Time isn't an issue (literally, I'm not sure they even keep time), it's just about teamwork and physical exertion. Carrying rucks, log PT (carrying telephone poles as a group, doing situps with them on your chest), etc. You'll like it...I can guarantee you it won't hurt as much as your recent marathon fundraiser! haha.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    I can guarantee you it won't hurt as much as your recent marathon fundraiser! haha.

Ha! I just asked an Army Ranger friend of mine last night what to expect, and he laughed at me, and said I'd be just fine. He wouldn't give me details though! So secretive. I just don't want to do anything where I have to hold my breath underwater. That freaks me out.

And I've already signed up for another heavy marathon :)
  • vandons
    vandons Posts: 4
    Options
    I've been walking with a 25 lb pack lately.

Looking into doing the Goruck Light challenge in September.

Regular Goruck Challenge is probably beyond me even by September.