Calculating TDEE based on calories in + weight lost

Options
I'm trying to get a better idea of my TDEE based on the number of calories I've eaten vs. the amount of weight I've lost. I just bought my food scale 3 weeks ago, so I'm only counting the last 21 days. I'm mostly just making sure I'm doing it right for now, and I'll recalculate once I have more data.

Here's what I've come up with:

For the last 21 days, I've eaten 39611 calories.
I've lost 5.4 pounds * 3500 = 18900 calories.

So (39611 + 18900)/21 days = 2786 TDEE. I'm 5'6.5" and currently 188.2 pounds. I have a desk job and exercise 5-6 days a week (plus chasing a toddler around), so this seems reasonable.

Am I doing this right or am I missing something?

Replies

• Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    regardless of the number, if you are losing, you are doing it right. :)

i'm 5"7' and 180 pounds, and eat 1750 daily.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes the calculations look correct to me. This is the same formula I use.

It has worked me in the last 6months where my average daily intake was 1700..TDEE is 2000 and I lose on average 3/4lb a week.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    regardless of the number, if you are losing, you are doing it right. :)

i'm 5"7' and 180 pounds, and eat 1750 daily.

I'm a full-on type A personality, so it really helps keep me motivated when I know I have the right numbers and can control it :)
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's how I do it too! Good for you for realizing the best way to do it is based on your own results over time. Sounds like you are on the right path!
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Yes the calculations look correct to me. This is the same formula I use.

It has worked me in the last 6months where my average daily intake was 1700..TDEE is 2000 and I lose on average 3/4lb a week.

Great. Thanks!