i'm extremely stressed out today

Options
And what I want to do is eat. So far I've been able to fight off all of my cravings, but all I want to do is take an early day, rent a movie, order pizza, and eat ice cream. If I did this I would feel worse, and I know it, but when the stress hits, it's hard to really care.

I wish money would fall from the sky, or at least this economy would stop sucking. It's amazing to me that after everything I've been through I still want to revert back to my old vegging habits when I feel down.
:cry:

Replies

• sexylonglegs
    Options
    hang in there...emotional eating habits are hard to break. find something else to do...walk, run, go for a drive.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I totally know where you are coming from, I find that getting an extra workout in usually helps eleviate some of that stress or I just keep busy with house or yard work then I find I am very happy with some fruit and water.
  • tater8589
    Options
    If you can go for a walk or run with your ipod(or what you have). Working out sends endorphins that make you feel better through your body and music.. for me is just calming (even the angy stuff cause it helps me express how i feel) If your cravings persist you might try having something small, a candy bar or a small scoop of ice cream... I hope your day gets better. Oh, if stress is a frequent problem you might take some fish oil, it helps me. Trust me I understand money issues too, the economy does suck.
  • ginastnly
    Options
    Ugh, stress eating is the worse for me too. Find a good distraction and beleive or not exercise will help. Get out of the house and go for a walk, run, or bike ride. Work off some of the stress you will feel much better. Hang in there!!
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Shopping usually picks me up. especially nice I'm down a pants size. treat yourself and buy a new outfit!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! There must be something in the air because I feel exactly the same way!

Our "old" habits of emotional/stress eating are well learned after repeating them over and over again. This "newer" way of healthy eating is still newer, so it make some logical sense that we go back to old, learned habits. Half the battle is that you recognize it, acknowledge it and work from there. I agree with a good walk or doign something good for you (whatever that might be-whether it is a walk, going to the gym, meeting up with a friend, etc). Just be good to yourself!

And the economy does suck. I'm wondering myself when things will pick up and the money issues won't be plagueing me every day. Feeling your pain. Hang in there!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I am totally stressed out too!!!!! But I do the opposite and I just don't eat...Both are bad scenarios, but what counts is that we are here. For me my stress is worse, I am losing my best friend (husband). He left and now I am left picking up the pieces. I guess the answer for us both is to count our blessings...I hope things get better for you. Don't give in to that junk food, go for a run maybe. I hate eating junk after I have worked so hard. SMILE!
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You've already had your spike day this week?

hang in there! take comfort in knowing you are soooooo not alone! you gotta know working out will make you feel better - look how crazy far you've come and how great you look!!

PS - gotta say it's comforting to me to know that guys do the emotional eating thing too
  • tzurak
    Options
    If that's your now photo on your profile you can probably stand one pig out day, denying yourself only sometimes serves to make you want it more. Just hit it hard in the gym tomorrow to make up for it!
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    definately go for a walk or something then see if u still have the craving and if u do dont order a pizza thats a waste of money and calories!! go to the grocery store and get a whole wheat pizza and add lots of veggies or get one of those single serving ones so u can have portion control. i love pizza!! but i always get thin crust or whole wheat crust and add lots of veggies its way more cost effiecient that way and better for u.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say that having a cheat day is not such a bad thing, but only when you are in control of your emotions and you control the situation. I do not recommend it when you are stressed out because you are doing it for the wrong reasons, which means it defeats the entire purpose of this healthy lifestyle. Instead of pizza and ice cream, go for a walk and just take a deep breath. Plan a cheat day for pizza and ice cream some other time when you are in control and not your emotions.
  • JennaGermain
    Options
    Well, nothing says you couldn't veg, but maybe try to find a less bad for you (and filling) snack to munch while chilling with a movie.
  • I think most of us can relate to that feeling. It's a bummer especially since we know it wont make things better. At least for me it makes me feel even worse with in min's of doing so. It's a tail spin into old habits. Stay focused, and it will make you stronger. The economy thing... tell me about it..... I'm in sales and the drop in my pay from a few years ago is huge......
  • KristinaW
    Options
    i feel your pain dude....I am freaking out thinking my bf is going to back down outa our move to Georgia and the funds are a little low and it is a very scary time for me. I too eat when i am upset...and this morning, i nearly lost the battle! i wanted ice cream so bad, i got a spoon and scooped right outa the container and licked it.
    to my surprise licking that ice cream made me feel dirtier then it did better.

i hope you can continue to fight those urges, and your the feeling that you get from giving in to help you power threw them.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support and encouraging words. I won't be spiking until Saturday, and I would just do it today but I know it would just make me feel worse. I want to enjoy it and not feel guilty about it.

I probably should get another workout in, but I feel like to lethargic to do anything. I haven't had a day like this in a long time, but I am happy to say that I have not given in to my cravings. The sun will come out tomorrow, right?:smile:
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    yay for you! and yes, the sun will come out tomorrow! I gotta learn to plan my spike day and enjoy it, instead of just calling my 'bad' day my spike!

keep your head up!!

btw - tried your turkey/bacon wrap today, sooooo yummy!
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Glad you pulled your way through a bad day :smile: We all have them!
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Options
    You should have still taken the early day and rented the movie just not had the pizza and ice cream!

Early day, movie, pasta and frozen yogurt would have been so terrible???
  • jcubesmommy
    Options
    You got this! Spike day is Saturday. :)
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Believe me I hear ya with the stressed out feelings! I've had visions of ice cream and sprinkles dancing through my head for days lol. I love a random drive to destress, accompanied by my favorite "happy songs." I think one of the hardest things for me is trying to be satisfied with what I have, instead of always wishing I had more.. Hope you're feeling better :happy: