Gym vs Home Workouts

Options
2»

Replies

• beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    We have a home gym that we set up, for us its easier than going to a gym here locally. My husband has a long commute to work and I tend to work long/crazy hours so for us getting in a car to head to the gym doesnt work out well and we tend to stop going.

At home we have an Elliptical, Recumbent Bike, Weights and Resistance Bands....the set up is in our garage which we redid to make it comfortable for working out with the equipment or doing our DVDs (T25/30DS) I have found having the equipment at home we have stayed more motivated since its easy to go out hop on the elliptical and watch TV or listen to music. Plus I get out there while I have laundry going or when I want to watch my DVR which I feel is a more effective use of my time.

Plus he and I still take a moment to change into our gym clothes and not workout in our PJs so that we still get into the mindset of gym time.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find it easier to work out at home. If I have to go somewhere to get it done... it just isn't as likely to happen. I gave up my gym membership YEARS ago. I am fortunate enough, though, to have a room in the basement dedicated to exercise... weights, treadmill, elliptical, TV with DVD player, etc. I get in there and get it done without the travel time!

Although, I will admit recently I've been curious about using a personal trainer or maybe a cross-fit class. Something like that. But, I don't think it's worth a gym membership to me.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    When I started on MFP I was only willing to workout at home. Basically I was too worried about what other people would think at the gym. As I progressed I worked with a personal trainer to add a light weight routine that could be done with limited equipment at home.

While I still ride my recumbent bike every morning at home, I'm starting to use the gym more frequently for other activities like swimming laps, water aerobics, rowing, and the elliptical. In another month or so I suspect we will switch up my weight routine and I will end up doing that in the gym too.

I like the convenience of working out at home, but I'm coming to like the gym for the variety it can provide.
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    I find it harder to get motivated to workout at home. BUT I do like working out at home better because I don't have to worry about what I look like, socializing, I save more time and money working out at home.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people have the same problem of skipping work outs or putting them off if they work out at home. My wife does it all the time. But personally I don't have that problem. I prefer to work out at home though. It's more about priorities for me, I can break up my work out if I have a busy day, I can easily do cardio in the morning and weights later. Plus I don't have to worry about all the bikes being taken when I'm at home.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I like both. When I am in my busy season at work (tax season) I prefer home, it's hard enough to get time with my family let alone time to hit the gym. When it's not my busy season I prefer the gym.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out at home. I get it done, get right in my own shower, don't have to either drag stuff there to shower and change, don't have to take extra time to drive to / from gym, etc. Don't have to wait for equipment or follow gym etiquette or feel rushed because others want same equipment, don't have to be polite to anyone or worry about what anyone thinks.