5x5.....what???

Options
ValGogo
ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
Please, without going into a lenghty explanation of how it works for you, please, PUH-LEASE someone tell me what 5x5 is?

WHAT IS IT?

Is it 5 sets of exercises?
Is it adding 5 lbs per exercise?

I'm not stupid but I google this shiz and I get nothing but babble but no definition. TELLLLL ME!!!!!

Replies

• a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    5 sets of 5 reps of a lift. It's mostly used in reference to a heavy progressive loading lifting program that is offered online for free and usually very successful.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Generally refers to Stronglifts 5x5:

http://stronglifts.com/

The website and pdf are very annoying but the program is actually sound. I believe it's based of Bill Starr's orginal program as is Starting Strength (a book, also good).
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend LOL
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Also, this is a good, not nearly as annoying, summary:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It's five exercises. Each done five reps per five sets each. If you can do all five reps of each set with good form then you are supposed to add five pounds to the bar at your next workout session.
  • JagZag
    JagZag Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bump for reference
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts 5x5 Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5

StrongLifts 5x5 Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

The idea is that you alternate between Workout A and Workout B 3 times each week, meaning that on week 1 you'll do workout A twice and B once, week 2 you'll do workout B twice and A once, and so on. It's a solid program for increasing your compound lifts and building strength, which is a good thing if those are your goals.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5

Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    that's the basics of it, but OP... read the site/program. understand that there are warmup reps to take into consideration, not just running in to the gym, cold, and jumping on working sets.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5

Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    that's the basics of it, but OP... read the site/program. understand that there are warmup reps to take into consideration, not just running in to the gym, cold, and jumping on working sets.

Warming up applies to any workout, not just SL 5x5. It's akin to stretching before you run.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    Also bumping for reference!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5

Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Warming up applies to any workout, not just SL 5x5. It's akin to stretching before you run.

yes.

I'm aware of that. OP may not be, which is why I pointed that out. If they just see the post of workouts and jump on it, they could hurt themselves.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I would also like to point that "five-by-five" is communicatiin slang for "load and clear" or "everythings good." It has to do with aeronautic radio signals or something. Made famous in James Cameron's Aliens movie: "We are in the pipe, five by five."
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would also like to point that "five-by-five" is communicatiin slang for "load and clear" or "everythings good." It has to do with aeronautic radio signals or something. Made famous in James Cameron's Aliens movie: "We are in the pipe, five by five."

I'm about to get all Joss Whedon nerdy, but I'll spare you all.
  • gina1971
    gina1971 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bumping for reference
  • rumple2014
    Options
    This is what I'm using ATM!

Only started 2 weeks ago!

I started with my form first and just using the bar!

I have asked for help with fellow gym members but being the " skinny guy " doing weights is sometimes off putting when surrounded by much bigger men! But we all have our goals!

Anyway I hope to see some progress in the coming months! Add a little bit of weight each time I do it.

Chris
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

does it mean that I'm nerdy too if I admit that I know what you are referring to?
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

does it mean that I'm nerdy too if I admit that I know what you are referring to?

It depends. Did your heart start racing out of excitement?
  • jzou91
    jzou91 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    5 sets of 5 reps for the "compound" exercises.

These exercises include (but not limited to):

Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Rows, etc.

CLEAN & JERK / SNATCHES ARE NOT INCLUDED IN 5X5 - these are power lifts and I do not recommend doing these in excess of 3 reps at a time to generate maximal power on each rep/set.

Generally, 5x5 follows a "linear progression" model. Where each time you go to the gym you add 5-10 pounds (for beginners) or less for intermediate/advanced trainees. This ensures consistent progress over long periods of time.

5x5 is solid for beginners and you'll definitely see progress if you push yourself to add weight every week!

P.S.

Creatine supplements (3-5g/day) will help a lot with progress on a 5x5 routine. If you want more details on this, shoot me a message.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    5 sets of 5 reps of a lift. It's mostly used in reference to a heavy progressive loading lifting program that is offered online for free and usually very successful.

THANK YOUUUUU!