More veggies, please!!

Options
2»

Replies

• madmanandy27
    madmanandy27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    have you tried wonder soup i use it but not in the context its used on the site but it is tasty and satisfies hunger. http://divascancook.com/2012/10/wonder-soup-recipe-weight-loss-soup-7-day-diet-cabbage-soup.html
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My favorites: Roasted Brussel Sprouts, Steamed Artichokes with lemon, Roasted cauliflower is suprisingly good, just cut it up in chunks, I rubbed some siracha, crushed garlic and olive oil on it and roasted it at 425 for about 20 minutes, and it gave me that "buffalo wing" fix. A favorite raw veggie is the bagged snap peas - my husband eats them like candy. They are easy to grow too. I put spinach in my smoothies for breakfast too - if you do smoothies, try peeling an avocado and freezing the halves in a zip lock bag. Then you can use them in smoothies for a creamy frozen texture, but you won't taste the avocado. I love avocados on toast too!
  • MissMonicaC
    MissMonicaC Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Loaded loaded loaded veggie soups, any type of vegetable that you enjoy, with some fresh and dried herbs, some braggs liquid aminos, miso as a meaty broth finish.. and enjoy. I LOVE it, huge staple for me.
    Shishkabobs!
    Any type of stir "fry" vegetable just load up the flavours, some mrs dash and a ton of veg..
    Stuffed peppers!
    Egg whites, or omelettes with the yolk and a ton of veggies, or make it into a frittata
    Baked and seasoned veggies- like peppers, onions, broccoli
    Coleslaw with/without mayo
    Broccoli coleslaw<3.- with avocado as a dip w/ cilanto < make this all of the time and its delicious!
    A healthy G-free tortilla/ wrap or cut it in half, and then add a ton of vegetables and hummus/salsa as the dressing
    Mashed cauliflower- just like potatoes, yum yum.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I boil a pot of water, cut up a whole bunch of kale chopped up and toss that into the water for a few minutes til it is softer, drain. Then i use my sea salt and garlic grinder and grind some of that and add pepper...mmmm

Spinach- I get a bag of the baby leaves, I chop up a clove or 2 fresh garlic, saute that in a tablespoon (or less) of Extra virgin olive oil til soft, add the bag of spinach cover (so the water helps to prevent drying out) and eat.
  • sjrja
    sjrja Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, make sure you are getting enough lean protein which will keep you full. Here's my favorite meal - either for breakfast lunch or dinner -- Fill a sauté pan with mushrooms, onions, peppers, broccoli, spinach (you can use frozen veggies- they work great. I don't always like them if I am eating straight veggies because they are not as crisp, but since you are making an "omelet" the texture is just fine) Then when the vegs are soft I pour in egg whites (or two scrambled eggs) - add a little cheese like feta or goat cheese (little bit goes a long way) - You will have a HUGE plate of food for not very many calories at all. Filling and it stays with you for hours.

Easy veggie soup - 1 carton of Pacific roast red pepper and tomato soup, 1 carton of chicken broth, bring to a simmer, dump in a bunch of frozen veggies of your choice (I like Costco's Normandy blend of cauliflower, broccoli and carrots). When ready to serve, stir in a spoonful of greek yogurt and that will add creaminess - if you can afford the calories, add cheese!

I use guacamole instead of mayo on sandwiches.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Those are great idea, too, love the veggie breakfast, I will do that.
  • tracegoldb
    Options
    Cauliflower! My favorite :-)

It comes in a few varieties...there's even purple/green/yellow cauliflower!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I've been on a yellow/summer squash kick lately. I put sliced squash, tomato, mushrooms, onion, garlic, (sometimes pico instead of the tomatoes and onion) and a dash of chicken broth in a pot and boil/steam until tender. Add some chicken, chickpeas, or both, for a light dinner.
  • karenfallison
    karenfallison Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had a veggie loaded cheese quesadilla for dinner tonight, you can look at my diary if you like. I also posted the recipe with pics.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I make onion dip, which is 0% greek yogurt with onion soup mix from Lipton. Loooowww calorie dip that tastes f'n amazing.

Brilliant ...never thought of that...I am SO making that. Thanks:drinker:
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I always make a nice big bulky curry (Indian or Thai) and eat it for a couple days - can basically pack whatever veg you want into it.

Indian - tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, capsicum, okra, chilli, garlic, spinach, cauliflower, peas, chickpeas, cabbage...yum!

Thai curries - tomatoes, sweet potatoes, baby corn, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, mangetout, sugarsnap peas, peas, carrots, bak choy, courgette, aubergine, coconut, mushrooms, ginger.

You can buy pastes fairly cheaply, if doing all the spices seems too much - just watch out for ones with MSG for the Thai ones. Steer away from cooking sauces - these are packed full of preservatives, sodium and fat. Just get a paste and add either tinned tomatoes or coconut cream/milk.

If I didn't stuff dinners with veggies, my husband wouldn't eat them!