Recent Knee Injury Prohibits Me to Excercise

Options
I just started Fitness Pal today because I have heard good things about it from co-workers. I recently had a major knee injury that will require surgery and am wondering if there is anything I can do to make sure I don't gain a lot of weight during my recovery time and/or lose a little of weight in the process. Before my injury, I was exercising regularly and I really do eat pretty healthy. I sometimes splurge on the weekend with a couple glasses of wine or beer, but other than that, I really watch what I eat and drink 2 liters of water a day. My calorie limit on here is 1200 calories and I can already see I am under that in what I eat. I am about 15 pounds overweight at this time and would like to lose about 20 pounds to be back in the zone. I will gladly take any suggestions and any help. Thanks.

Replies

• lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    After surgery you'll probably have some rehabilitation therapy. Along with that you can do upper body weights. Any weight bearing exercise after surgery will have to be approved by your doctor or physical therapist.

I'm scheduled for a total knee replacement in May so for now most of my exercise is done int he pool. Water Jogging and some upper and lower body exercises. Unfortunately after the surgery the doc said no pool for 6 weeks, but I can walk and ride a stationary bike fairly soon after.

Is your surgery knee replacement or soft tissue repair?
  • 1summerred
    Options
    It is a soft tissue repair. I dislocated my knee cap and tore my Meniscus. Pool is a good idea for later after rehab. I didn't think of that and cycling is always a good sweat. I'm really bummed and hoping the rehab passes quickly. I've really been scared to do anything, but I becoming restless. And with Spring here, not getting out and about is driving me a little nuts :)

I hope your surgery goes well. My brother went through two of those surgeries about 15 years ago. Not fun to go through but he is doing great now.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I had major ankle surgery last summer and I would suggest that you focus on rehabbing your body first and put weight loss on the back burner. Your body needs fuel to repair and mend after surgery, and that's impossible to do on 1200 calories a day. I ate at my maintenance for a few months and it was truly the best thing I was able to do for my body to heal. I only ended up gaining about 5 pounds or so (hard to say, I lost quite a bit of muscle and gained some flab in the 3 months I was unable to walk, scale moved about 5 pounds)

As far as getting some movement in when you are sidelined, there are lots of chair fitness videos on youtube (yoga, cardio, weights, etc). I did a lot of those when I was able to. I also did some upper body weight workouts at the gym (with my hubby for a spot).
  • 1summerred
    Options
    Great ideas and you are right, healing needs fuel to properly heal. I just feel my clothes getting tighter and just want to try to maintain what I can. I will check into the chair videos, that sounds interesting. I also will start upper body strength training again and anything I can do for the core, I feel would help too. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it!
  • ThePerplexed1
    ThePerplexed1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Beginning of this year I injured my knee. Had one surgery 2 months ago and have another 1 scheduled 2 weeks from now. The damage is prety severe. Just about every tendon, ligament ruptured.

Its been a hard journy. I sold my bike and bought a rower and row 2 to 3 times a week. It deifniely better than not doing anything. And also helps my sanity. At the same time I watch my calories.

Is it the same as before? No, but I am still putting in the effort and I am determined to give up. But at the same time go easy on myself knowing that my body is healing.
  • ThePerplexed1
    ThePerplexed1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Beginning of this year I injured my knee. Had one surgery 2 months ago and have another 1 scheduled 2 weeks from now. The damage is prety severe. Just about every tendon, ligament ruptured.

Its been a hard journy. I sold my bike and bought a rower and row 2 to 3 times a week. It deifniely better than not doing anything. And also helps my sanity. At the same time I watch my calories.

Is it the same as before? No, but I am still putting in the effort and I am determined to give up. But at the same time go easy on myself knowing that my body is healing.

...forgot to add. My leg is locked in extension and I put the injured leg on a toy car next to the rower (to move back and forth) and use the good leg to press off.
  • Hbarry7
    Hbarry7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It is still a calorie game. Pay extra attention to your nutrion/diet. Try to figure out what your calorie requirements are given your reduced activity level and make the best possbile nutritional choices you can to meet your calorie needs.

The change in activity will change your body composition, but you'll work on rebuilding during rehab. Now is the time to fill your body with good food to set yourself up for optimal recovery. Weight lose at this time might be due to the body recompostion of losing leg muscle, so I wouldn't get attached to any weight loss success during this transitional time.

I've had knee and neck injuries on and off and often end up in a simaliar situation of not being able to exercise. I suggest reframing the situation. Start thinking about what the physical down time gives you time for. You can research and try new recipes given the extra time you'll have from not exercising as much. You could focus on a nutrional goal you've been wanting to incorporate. Example, I focused on how to reduce dairy. I found an almond milk I like and a cereal I like it with. I've baked with it instead of cow milk and the meals turn out just fine, or better since I discovered I like the vanilla flavored kind. But you could focus on reducing salt intake, cutting non-water beverages... anything you've been wanting to improve.
  • 1summerred
    Options
    Im sorry to hear about your injury. It does sound pretty severe, but you seem to have the right attitude moving through the process. Ive always thought attitude is more than half the battle. Rowing is a great idea. I never even thought of that and great cardio. My gym has a machine. I will have to do what you did and find some type of contraption at the gym to put my injured leg in, but that's a great idea. Thank you!! Stay positive, healing is in sight :)
  • 1summerred
    Options
    All great ideas HBarry. The almond milk idea is a good one to try. I've tried it once before but I don't think I gave it enough time. I have changed little things like making sure I drink 2 -3 liters of water a day, no sodas or sugar drinks. Really all I drink ever is coffee in the am and water all day. I''ve cut sugar creamer in my coffee in the am and opted for Stevia instead (not bad I'm used to it now.)

Researching different healthy recipes is a good idea as well. I will try that. I follow the Sugar Busters diet loosely. I've known people with great success on that diet and have always tried to loosely follow it as far as whole grains go, opting for sugar free when I can and staying away from white pastas and rice and opting for brown rice and multigrain pasta (cant do the Whole wheat pasta yet- I've tried but I just don't like it.)

All in all you are right, I just need to keep a better eye on what I am eating and make good choices. I am also going to try and start doing some upper body exercises to keep my sanity :)

Thank you for all of your suggestions :)
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I've had multiple knee surgeries, and stayed in shape mostly by doing the physical therapy, getting around on crutches (which is hard work!), and doing upper body exercises (lots of dips and pullups). My gym also has a machine that's like a bicycle, but you "pedal" with your arms. Similar to several of these: http://www.fitnesszone.com/category/upper-arm-bikes.html

Mostly though, it's tough not to eat when you sit around all day. Try not to drink your calories, and learn to like salads.

I also dropped about 15 pounds in the 2 weeks after surgery, but most of that was muscle loss from being so sedentary. (edit: also, it took about a year for my bad leg to match the good one - a few weeks off really screws up the muscles.)

Good luck!
  • 1summerred
    Options
    Thank you! I need all the help I can get :) and yes salads are my new best friend!