Corporate Cafeteria Food Rant.

Options
alyjb1121
alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
Is it really that hard to keep healthier options in the cafeteria at work?

Facts:
I hate water. I know, but I still do.
I will drink flavored water.
I left my Lipton flavored water packets in my desk and my desk keys at home.
I don't consume beverages containing aspartame. [most diet sodas]
I don't want to drink 250+ empty calories.

And yet, the cafeteria took out the one soda choice they were carrying that I could stand to drink! WHY?! Was it threatening to all the non health-conscientious choices. UGH.
Anyone have beverage suggestions.....Tea or something, what would be best to get?? Thanks :)

Replies

• fayefayee5
    fayefayee5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    you could do fruit juice mixed with water, I sometimes dilute apple juice to make it easier to drink.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I keep some MIO or something in my desk and have a refillable gallon jug.

It's not that they don't want to keep healthier choices out, they want to put in choices that sell.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    you could do fruit juice mixed with water, I sometimes dilute apple juice to make it easier to drink.

This. Water with a splash of fruit juice.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Do they have coffee or iced coffee? That is probably the direction I'd go.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Fill a big mason jar with cut up citrus fruit, like lemon and orange slices, and cucumbers. Fill it with filtered water, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. It tastes great, and it's very low cal, no caffeine, tasty, and has none of that aspartame poison crap.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Fill a big mason jar with cut up citrus fruit, like lemon and orange slices, and cucumbers. Fill it with filtered water, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. It tastes great, and it's very low cal, no caffeine, tasty, and has none of that aspartame poison crap.

i do this!! i add to that mint leaves and stevia leaves.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Oooh mint leaves! I'll have to try that! I grow several varieties of mint.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Just get used to drinking water. Your taste buds can in fact change.
  • Julettashane
    Options
    Oooh mint leaves! I'll have to try that! I grow several varieties of mint.
    its very tastey....especially lemon or orange mint leaves mmm....ive also seen chocolate mint lol
  • Julettashane
    Options

i do agree i used to hate now i drink it a lot more i try to get in 33oz or more in just plain water intake the rest comes from my fruits and veggies and other foods
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

Not a bad idea, either.

I never truly disliked water but for me it was partly a matter of figuring out the correct temperature. I didn't like room temp or ice water, and something skeeved me out about drinking from a plastic bottle...but give me a glass or refillable cup with straw and some refrigerator-temperature water w/ no ice...and I prefer that to just about any drink...
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Drink water
  • alyjb1121
    Options

It's not that they don't want to keep healthier choices out, they want to put in choices that sell.

The choice they got rid of was Pepsi Next.....only 100 cals, half the carbs, half the sugar and no aspartame.

I am already at work so wanted to get something.....but i might try the fresh fruit in the water for tomorrow!

I really really dislike the mio which is why I was using the Lipton flavor packets with green tea, honey and fruit flavor.
  • alyjb1121
    Options

The choice they got rid of was Pepsi Next.....only 100 cals, half the carbs, half the sugar and no aspartame.

I am already at work so wanted to get something.....but i might try the fresh fruit in the water for tomorrow!

I really really dislike the mio which is why I was using the Lipton flavor packets with green tea, honey and fruit flavor.

I don't drink a ton of soda, just to clarify.....It's like one every three weeks. but I wanted one today since I had no flavored water stuff. I know water is great and wonderful and I will drink several bottles in a day if i can flavor it. It's just frustrating because this cafeteria has all these options, oriental food, grill, deli, pizzeria, salad bar, and a lot of beverage options but all the options were the same except the one they took away, which is the one I wanted....and now i feel like i need a back up plan [for my back up plan actually. double failure] they even sell pre-packaged snacks, why can't they sell flavored water or flavor packets for my water?!?

I am overthinking this. I do that. I am just thirty, frustrated and still struggling through my first bottle of the day. Usually I drink three or more.
  • fredman2
    fredman2 Posts: 57
    Options
    I just buy the box of packets of sugar-free lemonade, open and dump all of them into one container with a lid about the size of a coffee cup, and then dump a little into water every day, sometimes twice a day.
    You can't have stuff at home OR at work, you need it in both places.

Hopefully you don't buy bottled water (unless you have to), that is a waste of $$$
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    in for aspartame being the devil:devil:
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

It might not have been a big money maker for them.
  • alyjb1121
    Options
    I just buy the box of packets of sugar-free lemonade, open and dump all of them into one container with a lid about the size of a coffee cup, and then dump a little into water every day, sometimes twice a day.
    You can't have stuff at home OR at work, you need it in both places.

Hopefully you don't buy bottled water (unless you have to), that is a waste of $$$

does the sugar free lemonade have aspartame? if not, what brand is it? because crystal light has aspartame.
    in for aspartame being the devil:devil:

I gave it up due to the effects on neurotransmitters such as my serotonin levels. I don't regret my choice at all.
  • gemaquaries
    gemaquaries Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's even worse when you have to make gluten and dairy free choices. Been sick more times than I'd like down there. And yet I still make the mistake of thinking I can eat down there... sigh