All the Stress

Options
Josalinn
Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
This is a vent/rant

So I started a new program yesterday, but in order to make sure I get it done I have been getting my butt out of bed and to the gym before work. Yay I have been good with this.

But it's the social obligations (Boyfriend's B-day, best girlfriend moving HOURS away, other friends getting married and moving away) on top of the fact that I have exactly ONE MONTH left of classes and I am feeling the finals coming. (My entire grade for a class is determined by the final).

I feel better going to the gym and working out, but I also think, hey that was an hour and a half I could have spent studying. My job isn't stressful, but unless I finish everything else, no studying.

It's like I should just put everything fitness on hold and focus on school, but I know that's ridiculous, life doesn't go on hold.

So my other option is to run around like a crazy person screaming at the top of my lungs, except my DOMS from yesterday is so bad that I think it would be a hobble/jog.:laugh:

Thanks for listening. just want to rant/scream.
!(@&$(*(&)&)()($()&@)!*&$(*#*#&)!_)@*$&

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    This is a vent/rant

So I started a new program yesterday, but in order to make sure I get it done I have been getting my butt out of bed and to the gym before work. Yay I have been good with this.

But it's the social obligations (Boyfriend's B-day, best girlfriend moving HOURS away, other friends getting married and moving away) on top of the fact that I have exactly ONE MONTH left of classes and I am feeling the finals coming. (My entire grade for a class is determined by the final).

I feel better going to the gym and working out, but I also think, hey that was an hour and a half I could have spent studying. My job isn't stressful, but unless I finish everything else, no studying.

It's like I should just put everything fitness on hold and focus on school, but I know that's ridiculous, life doesn't go on hold.

So my other option is to run around like a crazy person screaming at the top of my lungs, except my DOMS from yesterday is so bad that I think it would be a hobble/jog.:laugh:

Thanks for listening. just want to rant/scream.
    !(@&$(*(&)&)()($()&@)!*&$(*#*#&)!_)@*$&

One month left. I will say, when you put fitness on hold, it's hard to go back in a timely manner sometime. Push through it you can. Especially if the gym de-stresses you.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    If you have to cut back on how long you're at the gym.. or how often you go.. that's better than not going at all. You say you're going to the gym for an hour and a half? That's a lot of gym time for anybody! Maybe cut it back to 45min until things quiet down. Good luck! What do you do at the gym? If you're on a cardio machine couldn't you read your school books while you work out?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Can you save some time by upping the intensity of your cardio so you can shorten the duration? Can you work out at home to save prep/drive time? Try bursts of stairs, skipping, jumping jacks etc till you can't breathe, get some housework done then get back at it. Rinse repeat. Hope this month flies by for you.
  • Josalinn
    Options
    If you have to cut back on how long you're at the gym.. or how often you go.. that's better than not going at all. You say you're going to the gym for an hour and a half? That's a lot of gym time for anybody! Maybe cut it back to 45min until things quiet down. Good luck! What do you do at the gym? If you're on a cardio machine couldn't you read your school books while you work out?

That included drive time, generally I lift 4x a week for 45 mins and then have 2 cardio sessions for an hour (ZUMBA!)

I'd cut back but I am more productive at work and in class later if I hit the gym in the morning. So its worth it? Just everything coming to a head.
  • littlebrownbat3
    littlebrownbat3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am reminded of a meditation story where the moral is "if you are busy, you should meditate an hour a day, if you are super duper busy, 2 hours a day." I always thought that was insane, until I realized that exercise is necessary to my mental well being. It IS that time in the semester where everything gangs up on you, and so this is the time that I have to dig in and say, yes, this is REALLY the time to hang on to my workout routine. Regular workouts help keep my severe depression at bay, and so on days where I'm like, screw this, I wanna go to bed, I just have to ask myself, "do I really want to go back to the bad place again?" And then I sigh, and pout, and put on my sneakers and head to the gym. Or crawl on to my weight bench and pound out some reps.

I would say hang in there, its only a few more weeks.
  • fredman2
    fredman2 Posts: 57
    Options
    Maybe you can't get to the gym for the next month or so, or at least on some kind of a schedule, but you CAN watch your diet and also do several five-ten-fifteen minute mini workouts, like go for an intensive walk for 15 min or go up and down stairs for 5 minutes, or some 'sitting in a chair' workout(s).
  • Josalinn
    Options
    I am reminded of a meditation story where the moral is "if you are busy, you should meditate an hour a day, if you are super duper busy, 2 hours a day." I always thought that was insane, until I realized that exercise is necessary to my mental well being. It IS that time in the semester where everything gangs up on you, and so this is the time that I have to dig in and say, yes, this is REALLY the time to hang on to my workout routine. Regular workouts help keep my severe depression at bay, and so on days where I'm like, screw this, I wanna go to bed, I just have to ask myself, "do I really want to go back to the bad place again?" And then I sigh, and pout, and put on my sneakers and head to the gym. Or crawl on to my weight bench and pound out some reps.

I would say hang in there, its only a few more weeks.

This is probably what I am going to do. I appreciate all the support and the "its ok to take a break or back off for a bit." I think if I did this though I would start binging. I know myself well enough.

It is time to make hone my time management skills.

I really do appreciate the love and the listening. Sometimes writing it all out and just venting is enough to ease the stress a bit.:heart:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Just stay in a deficit and skip the working out for now. The only thing you need to do to lose weight is to have a calorie deficit.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Just stay in a deficit and skip the working out for now. The only thing you need to do to lose weight is to have a calorie deficit.

^I think this is good advice for you for the next month. Prioritize. Your education is very important for this short period of time. You can resume when you are done for the year.

Deep breaths. Best wishes to you! Nothing worth having is easy!