MILITARY APFT

Options
Anyone else out there trying to maintain their PT standards? I am interested in hearing what kind of fitness and exercise tactics your taking. I failed my last PT test, felt like a loser, trying to get back on track with my endurance and muscle strength.

Replies

• daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the military, but my boyfriend just took his annual PT test and got a 97% (he's in the air force.)

Pretty much, he ended up getting a personal trainer just to teach him new exercises. Like, instead of doing a normal push up, he does V-push ups, tricep pushups, etc. He had a personal trainer all summer, and ended up doing better on his PT test.

However, that is expensive. I know there is a website, if you google like .. military workouts, and they give you many different exercises in order to keep up with their PT standards. :) Hope I helped!
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Interval training
    www.nv.ngb.army.mil/army/documents/nco/Fitness/maxPT.pdf

I have most issues with the run myself. There are two aspects of the running, endurance and speed. For endurance, try running 3miles at least once a week. For speed, do intervals.
    C25K is a good program for getting up to running 3.1miles. It starts off doing intervals.

For Sit-ups, do sets of 12-15 with a 30-60sec break in between. Work on speed.

Similar principal with Push-ups.

I have never been a self motivator. I am about to take command of a company. There is no way I can stand in front of my soldiers and hold them to a higher standard then I hold myself. My goals are to pass the APFT by the standards of a 18 year old.
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    I'm not in the military, but I want to be! I'm doing interval training with my personal trainer 4-5 times a week... :-)
  • SophieBodin
    Options
    I'm not in the military either, but my husband is. He gets out in January. He is in the Navy. I actually will DEP into the Navy in Feb. I have to wait until my baby girl is 6 months. I know when I was in ROTC in high school, to keep up with keeping in shape, I did different exercises everyady using general circuits and then ran every other day. I never really skipped a day of working out. I made sure to also do push ups and sit ups everyday when I woke up and when Iwent to bed. It really helped my numbers go up. If you have organized PT, I would suggest just running on your own and doing the push ups and sit ups, and do circuits on the day that you do not have organized PT. MY husband on this base does not have any kind of organized PT. He got lazy and failed his last PRT and was put on FEP. If you are looking for a good workout you can also join the FEP groups that run everyday. Its mandatory for those whofail the PRT but even if you don't you can just join them for a good work out.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I know this topic has been untouched for about 6 mos, but I'm new here, in the Navy and pretty much joined to maintain my BCA standards for the PFA. I could stand to do better on my workouts, but I always pass that part no problem. (Probably because of my age and sex).